• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't afford COBRA premium.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Steve0

What is the name of your state? Minnesota.

I was recently let go by my employer. In order to continue my insurance plan under Medica, I'm looking at a monthy Cobra cost of $922 for my wife and I. My wife is receiving disability payments of $800.00 per month and otherwise does not work outside the home. The only job I've been lucky enough to land is a driver/courier which pays less than what I made before and further, the company does not offer health insurance benefits.

My wife has a "pre-existing" condition (trama induced head injury; nerve damage to left side)...Going without insurance is simply out of the question. We can probably cover two months max of the Cobra payments before the well runs dry. After that, who knows....

I could get single Cobra coverage for $275/month. But my wife needs insurance more than I do and thus far I've found no alternatives. Any ideas?

Thanks,

:( Steve0

ALawyer

You have a major problem. COBRA is supposed to cost YOU what the insurance actually costs the former employer, plus 2%.
I am somewhat surprised that H&W coverage is more than 2 times the cost of single coverage. Today many plans price in 3 tiers: coverage for one person, one person plus 1 dependent (a spouse or single child), or family (you plus 2 or more dependents). Ask the employer if there is a 1 + 1 coverage option.In terms of your financial circumstances, consider what whould happen IF there is no coverage. This may be time to find another job, reduce lifestyle, sell something, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">