• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't begin probate process due to contesting. Meanwhile the estate is being taken advantage of. SC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? SC

My mother passed away nearly a year ago in a hospital. This was a rather sudden death that was not expected. She had no will and no assets other than a car and a mobile home that will likely be foreclosed on sometime this year that she inherited that is in nearly valueless condition. At the time, my older half brother (56), was living off of her and is still squatting on the property. After the funeral which my dad paid a large portion upfront for, things quickly soured between me and my brother when I stopped contacting him as he was looking for his next place to stay. There is a longer backstory to this but the only reason I was ever cordial to my brother was for my mother's sake when I would visit her because she had forgiven him for things he did in the past.

I do not live in the same town this occurred in but am in state. After a month or so of the funeral, my brother, ever the schizophrenic, eventually sent a threatening text that he was going to file charges against me for 'stealing my mother's will' which she never had. This is completely asinine to me because I am of the understanding that any will would automatically come into play upon her death with whichever law firm she filed it with. Not only that, but whoever was willed what would not matter since debts (mainly funeral expenses) must be paid first. After this, he proceeded to try and get my uncle and aunt to say they witnessed my mother saying she wanted him to have a car prior to her death. They've refused, but my uncle remains an advocate for him. To put this in more context, my half brother is 56, never owned his own home, never lived on his own, never purchased a vehicle for himself, or held a steady job for more than 6 months. He wrecked my mother's previous vehicle while driving under suspension and it was my father who paid the deductible to get her her current vehicle before she passed.

I filed to be representative of the estate to begin probate as I was already the one who planned the funeral, wrote her obituary, cancelled insurance, social security, and the various other tasks that needed to be handled. As it turns out, my brother after his schizo text had also filed for representative. Even after two other subsequent trips down to the small town where my mother lived, I get told the same thing- that I need a lawyer since my brother and I will contest one another. The thing is I want nothing. I know my mothers estate is worth virtually nothing and that debts will claim anything or value- mainly her vehicle. Which my brother has been illegally driving with no license, no insurance, and a stolen tag. He is utterly terrified of losing this car and was asking about it moments after her death. He also was recently arrested for driving the vehicle with no license, no insurance, no plate, and an attempt to defraud (I'm assuming this means a fake plate). The vehicle was temporarily impounded but some way, some how he got the vehicle out.

It seems absurd to me that I have repeatedly been told that I need to spend money for legal representation to settle a valueless estate when all I want is for debts to be settled. This has to be a relatively common occurrence since I imagine an estate can't sit for eternity without it being settled. And to make matters worse, one of the only items of value in the estate is being illegally driven daily by a petulant child and from my understanding, the estate is liable if he were to wreck. So- what are my legal options in this case? Am I literally going to have to spend money to stop someone from breaking the law daily in order for debts to be paid? I would think there has to be a case where a judge can simply rule in a bench trial in matters like this? I get that no one wants to work for free but its beyond ridiculous to me that since my brother was financially dependent upon my mother, he has been able to wantonly break the law and sell off items of my mother's since I am essentially held for some kind of bureaucratic ransom for what would legally occur anyway. If anyone could offer any advice- even if they are legal longshots like contacting the SC attorney general, I am all ears and would be immensely grateful for any advice.

Two additional points of note- I've heard that estates under a certain value can avoid probate. I am sure my mother's would qualify IF they knew the condition of the property as I imagine at this point it is only the lot that has value. But I have no idea to begin that process. Also, I've recently heard of the concept of 'guardian ad litem' but I am not sure if one would be relevant to this case since they seem to only involve cases where young children are involved.

LdiJ

You have no legal requirement to deal with your mother's estate. Nothing will happen to you if you simply wash your hands of it and walk away. If I were in your shoes I would withdraw my petition to become the representative of the estate and let your brother deal with it.

Were your dad and mom married?
No.

To those saying I should walk away, the problem is my brother has nothing to lose. And is free to keep or destroy any belongings my mother had since he is living in the residence where they are. I dont know when or how belongings come into play in a court matter but I imagine if he hides or destroys the car and anything else, its simply my word against his in court at that point. In short, he absolutely does not care about any debts being paid, only what he can get from my mother's death.

Is there really no expedited process in matters like this that avoids legal representation? It seems clear as day to me who has conflicts of interest here and who doesn't if I werent just dealing with a city official parroting 'get a lawyer' to me.

PayrollHRGuy

If you want nothing then don't worry about it as you have already been advised. But you are free to go in there and represent yourself to the court. If your brother brings a lawyer I can almost guarantee you will lose if you do so.

LdiJ

No.

To those saying I should walk away, the problem is my brother has nothing to lose. And is free to keep or destroy any belongings my mother had since he is living in the residence where they are. I dont know when or how belongings come into play in a court matter but I imagine if he hides or destroys the car and anything else, its simply my word against his in court at that point. In short, he absolutely does not care about any debts being paid, only what he can get from my mother's death.

Is there really no expedited process in matters like this that avoids legal representation? It seems clear as day to me who has conflicts of interest here and who doesn't if I werent just dealing with a city official parroting 'get a lawyer' to me.
Ok, let me ask you a more specific question. Why is any of that a problem for you? Why is it a problem for you if your mother's debts don't get paid? These are sincere questions. You say that the estate has no value. Therefore there is nothing for you to split with your brother. Does your mother owe you money? Are you one of the creditors? If not, once again, why do you care what your brother does or does not do with the estate? It is not now and never will be your problem, unless you were to actually win and become the representative. Then it becomes your problem. Why not just let it be your brother's problem and let him be the one to face consequences if he doesn't follow the law?

I think, reading between the lines, that AugustGrad wants some of his mother's personal possessions that have little monetary value.

Why don't you play nice with your brother and see if he will share some of them with you, and then let him handle the estate any way he wants?

LdiJ

I think, reading between the lines, that AugustGrad wants some of his mother's personal possessions that have little monetary value.

Why don't you play nice with your brother and see if he will share some of them with you, and then let him handle the estate any way he wants?
If that is the case, then that certainly would be an option. The OP could offer to withdraw his petition to be the estate representative in exchange for the personal items he wants. However, I would still like an answer from AugustGrad himself. I am concerned that there is something else going on in his mind regarding the estate...that is likely wrong thinking.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">