• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can't contact my lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ardes

Arkansas
Two months ago, my world fell apart. I was charged with a felony, and my wife decided to divorce me. I hired a lawyer, a well respected man, who charged me $3500 to represent me in the felony case and, though I offered to pay him to represent me in the divorce, he said he'd do that for nothing.
Since then, the divorce is proceeding on my wife's side, but I have heard NOTHING from my lawyer, though I have phoned his office 10 (TEN) times, each time assured that he will return my call the same day, but he has never once returned a call. The only time he ever called me was to make sure his fee was being sent. It was.
I don't know what to do next. How can I get this man to talk with me? Is there a point at which I should consider legal action against him? The felony court appearance isn't until August, and I don't want to do anything to damage my case in that.

HomeGuru

Hint: he does not want to do it for free even though he told you so.
Hire a new attorney for the divorce.

realgal

same situation

I am having the same problem. I paid my attorney a retainer, not to represent me in a legal situation, simply to read a contract and give me some options. I realize he is not making a lot of money from my measly little problem, but why not just say, "hey, I've got bigger, more lucrative things in the works-I can't do this", rather than just ignore me and keep me wondering if he's ever going to call back. His secretary says the same thing every time I call, "oh he's been busy with a deposition, but he'll call you back first thing tomorrow morning." I give up.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">