• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cant get personal belongings back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? west virginia

i was forced to move out of my appt by my ex boyfriend i had only five hours to move out..and i was unable to get some of my belongings out it has been over a year now and i have not been able to get them after repeated attempts to get them...he has a washer and dyer and dvd player in which i am still paying for....on a credit card..how might i go about getting them back............


Senior Member
Contact the police in your area and explain the situation to them. Sometimes they will accompany the individual back to the domicile and wait while he/she collects their property. They'd rather do that than be called to respond to a domestic violence situation.

The fact that you've waited a year may complicate things however. If the police can't help you, then your other "no cost" recourse is go take your ex to small claims court. If you don't have the original receipts for the items, then contact your credit card company for copies of the original charges - you'll probably need that to show to the court (or police, if they can help you) that you paid for those things.


Where you on the lease at the time? If so and you left, it might be cosidered property abandonment. If you weren't on the lease, take him to small claims court, or The People's Court. Milian gave some guy back possessions from nearly 10 years before.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential