• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capital expenses or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maciver

What is the name of your state? FL

Hi, I was hoping for some advice. I am a sole proprietor working as a educational consultant and working from home. I am trying to determine which of my expenses this year have been capital expenses. Most of the items I buy that will have a life in excess of 1 year are books (related to the practice of my profession) and toys for working with children. Rather than buying in bulk I have been buying these items incrementally throughout the year. I also have bought some inexpensive office furniture (less than $100). As these are small monetary amounts, do they count as capital expenses or should I include the items under normal yearly business expenses?

Thanks so much,

Kirsty

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">