• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Capital One late fee scam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wsu98

What is the name of your state? Minnesota
Over the years Capital One has bought up all my previous banks so I now have 4 Capital One cards with a total balance of a few thousand which I pay more then the monthly minimum every month for each. In the past I have mailed numerous payments/coupons separately and together in the same envelope. Either together or seperate there have been large disparities in the payment post dates which triggers late fees. Sometimes payments mailed together in the same envelope post weeks apart. I have called Capital One and they have taken the late fees off. I shouldnt have to call and point this out every other month or more. I have done it on their recorded customer service line and it continues. They have posted late payments on my credit report and failed to correct it when proven to be innacurate.
I have left a complaint with the BBB. I plan on doing the same with my State Attorney Generals Office. What else can I do so that this stops?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Credit card processing is a very automated thing. Including several payments together in the same envelope often invites problems because the automated systems are set up to look for a single payment in each envelope and to process those payments based on the payment stub from the bill that is enclosed with the check. I suggest you ask the bank how it wants the payments for each account made and then follow those directions. Yes, that probably means you need to send in 4 payments every month instead of combining them into one envelope. But saving the little bit of money in postage is not doing you any good when you have to face resolving late fee issues over and over again. One option here would be to set up making the payments electronically through your bank. It's fast to do, usually free, and eliminates problems like this. I can make 4 payments online through my bank in less time than it takes to write out one check. Bottom line here is that if you are not following the procedures the bank gives for sending payments then you cannot really blame the bank when it gets messed up.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Minnesota
Over the years Capital One has bought up all my previous banks so I now have 4 Capital One cards with a total balance of a few thousand which I pay more then the monthly minimum every month for each. In the past I have mailed numerous payments/coupons separately and together in the same envelope. Either together or seperate there have been large disparities in the payment post dates which triggers late fees. Sometimes payments mailed together in the same envelope post weeks apart. I have called Capital One and they have taken the late fees off. I shouldnt have to call and point this out every other month or more. I have done it on their recorded customer service line and it continues. They have posted late payments on my credit report and failed to correct it when proven to be innacurate.
I have left a complaint with the BBB. I plan on doing the same with my State Attorney Generals Office. What else can I do so that this stops?
Stop mailing the payments in the same envelope. Make sure that you send in each payment separately to the specific address included with that bill. Or, in the alternative you can set yourself up to make the payments online at capitalone.com. If you do that, you control exactly when the payments are posted to your account.

adjusterjack

What else can I do so that this stops?
Pay off the balances as fast as possible and cancel the cards. Google Capital One Reviews and you'll see that Capital One is notorious for poor customer service and then some. The BBB is useless and the Atty Genl isn't going to fix anything either.

Dandy Don

Try sending in separate payments, as has been suggested. Then, if you see no difference in the time for processing/posting payments, complain with your state's banking commissioner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">