• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car accident damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

It sounds like your questions are a bit premature and you lack enough info to be able to allow anybody to give you direction. Come on back once you get a response from your insurance provider if they shoot you down

thombos

Okay, the insurance said they'll be sending an appraiser to the dealer to assess whether the current problems are accident related damage or not. But they did say immediately that they will not be covering the rental as I already maxed out rental coverage on the claim last year. What are my next steps to get the party at fault to pay for the rental? (Btw, the insurance I'm talking to is "my insurance", not the insurance of the at-fault party).

However premature, I have another question. The at-fault party has been convicted and has a restitution hearing coming up. I have also learned that the auto insurance of the owner of the vehicle that the party of fault was driving has accepted liability and reimbursed my insurance for expenses so far. Should I bring my diminished value claim, and all new arising costs, if confirmed to be accident related, to the restitution hearing, or go after the vehicle owners insurance company?

Thanks

Last edited:

justalayman

You need to speak with your insurance provider. If release was given for damages, you may have no recourse against the other driver

thombos

I don't understand what you are getting at. I did not sign anything yet since I also have a pending PI claim (I have an attorney for that who doesn't have much interest in the property claim). Are you suggesting my insurance may have released the driver at fault?

thombos

Yes I am, for the property damage portion only
I guess I'll find out soon. I can still bring it to the restitution hearing in court I suppose. What about the accident-related damages the car may have now? My insurance is on the hook if they released the party at fault?

thombos

I have not heard anything on my case from the ADA since the restitution hearing. My car still sucks and has become incredibly unreliable. I keep having both transmission and steering wheel issues that the dealer claims are due to the accident. I had purchased a brand new car a few months before the accident because I wanted a reliable warrantied car. I was not at fault in the accident, and I have always paid my insurance on time, yet I'm left holding the bag on this. There must be a way to at least get back into a car that is as good/reliable as my car was before the accident. All the time I'm losing having it in the shop, not to speak of all the rental costs, every time the car breaks down....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">