• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car accident, they re declared at fault lost wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PayrollHRGuy

The insurance company threatened to stop my rental before I even had settlement papers. I was fine with property damage settlement. But not knowing if I would have the rental much longer, I couldn't plan for other transports. I didn't know if I'd have the rental to do them and at that time didn't have any idea when I'd get a car. I was looking online so what else could I do? As soon as I got the car, I was now able to plan transports which I should have been doing much earlier but didn't know when I'd have a car. I immediately bought one as soon as I got settlement one month after accident. So you see, I did everything I could possibly do.
You should have never accepted a car that wouldn't do what you needed to do.

It seems that your loss of business was your own fault because you ASSUMED things that didn't actually happen. But even if the insurance company didn't keep you in a rental or not given you one in the first place, you could have rented one yourself and continued business as usual. That's called mitigation of damages.

L

Losingitfast

You should have never accepted a car that wouldn't do what you needed to do.

It seems that your loss of business was your own fault because you ASSUMED things that didn't actually happen. But even if the insurance company didn't keep you in a rental or not given you one in the first place, you could have rented one yourself and continued business as usual. That's called mitigation of damages.
I couldn't afford a rental.

zddoodah

Bottom line: If you and the insurer cannot come to an agreement, your recourse is to sue the driver (and, if applicable, the driver's employer).

L

Losingitfast

Sure they do.
There are plenty of commercial vehicle rental companies out there.
I'm glad you know everything. Guess what? The average person doesn't. I've never had an accident before in over 1,500,000 miles of driving. Why? Because I drive responsibly and don't pull a trailer without brakes knowing it will likely run out of control. You assume everyone knows everything. And that is your biggest mistake. I didn't milk the system. I acted quickly and responsibly.

PayrollHRGuy

I couldn't afford a rental.
The fact that your business is undercapitalized is not the fault of the driver that hit you.

I'm glad you know everything. Guess what? The average person doesn't. I've never had an accident before in over 1,500,000 miles of driving. Why? Because I drive responsibly and don't pull a trailer without brakes knowing it will likely run out of control. You assume everyone knows everything. And that is your biggest mistake. I didn't milk the system. I acted quickly and responsibly.
You live in a time where information is more available than ever. Look how much info you have gotten here in just a few hours.

And again, your lack of knowledge is not the fault of the other driver.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That has nothing to do with my prior responses. In fact, I've been positive this entire time that you were ignorant of the steps that you could/should have taken.

As was pointed out above, if you don't agree, then your option is to sue. Let's just hope that you didn't sign a release when you accepted the settlement.

L

Losingitfast

I have 3
That has nothing to do with my prior responses. In fact, I've been positive this entire time that you were ignorant of the steps that you could/should have taken.

As was pointed out above, if you don't agree, then your option is to sue. Let's just hope that you didn't sign a release when you accepted the settlement.
I haven't accepted the settlement. That's the whole point. Ugh. I ususally don't go on forums because the people on them are actually sitting around responding to forums. You get what you don't pay for. I can't suffer trolls.

Zigner

I have 3

I haven't accepted the settlement. That's the whole point. Ugh. I ususally don't go on forums because the people on them are actually sitting around responding to forums. You get what you don't pay for. I can't suffer trolls.
I'm sorry, but your explanation of the situation is lacking. I wish you the best of luck in whatever path you take.

L

Losingitfast

The fact that your business is undercapitalized is not the fault of the driver that hit you.

You live in a time where information is more available than ever. Look how much info you have gotten here in just a few hours.

And again, your lack of knowledge is not the fault of the other driver.
Stand up for the guy who plowed into me with a huge trailer that didn't have brakes. Also got a ticket for following too close and speeding. Negligence anyone? Gross negligence.
Luckily I found someone who is taking care of this out of court. Go back to your History channel reruns and stop giving advice you gleaned from Judge Judy.

Zigner

Stand up for the guy who plowed into me with a huge trailer that didn't have brakes.
Please re-read this entire thread and point out one single instance where any responder has "stood up for" the guy who hit you. Please. I'll wait.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">