• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Please Help. I need to the person at fault to pay for my doctor bills.

I was in a car accident in new york city on the highway, but I live in connecticut.
The accident involved two vans and a car hitting us in the back. It was not our fault but because the driver of my vehicle thought nothing was wrong and he was going to get rid of the car anyway, he did not report it. I have gone through hundreds or thousands of dollars of back treatment and quite a lot of suffering. This was four years ago. Until now the driver in my car has payed for my back treatment but now refuses to. I am 20 and do not have the money to pay for what is a painful back problem. The driver lives in New Jersey. How many years do I have to sue his insurance company or him for not reporting it and for my back expenses? and which state court system do i use?

My brother was also in the car but I was the only one in the back and I was sleeping so I was not able to react and woke up as my back was stretched by the jolt.



I am a law school graduate awaiting Bar results. I offer the following as information only, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

First of all, if the driver in your car was paying your medical bills and doing it out of pocket I assume, he has essentially admitted liability and responsiblity for his actions. Which means, you can take him to court and sue him for future medical payments.

I am not sure what state you should bring the suit. I do suggest that you do not go on without an attorney at this point because you may or may not have exhausted your claim against the insurance company or the guy. (although i suspect four years since a car accident may bar you from making a claim against the insurance company.)

Try an Accident/personal injruy atty at attorneypages.com first. you may also want to try reading the section on accident law and personal injuries at freeadvice.com (if you haven't already done so).

I completely empathasize with your situation, a very tough situation to be in. I hope everything works out for you. On a side note, have you tried meditation, I hear it works wonders.


You have a choice of states: you can sue in NY, since the accident occurred there, or you can sue in NJ, since the defendant lives there. Unfortunately, the NJ statute of limitations for personal injury is 2 years. NJS 2A:14-2. I'm pretty sure the NY statute of limitations has also run out by now.

The only hope I see for you is if either NJ or NY toll the statute of limitations until your 18th birthday. Contact NY & NJ personal injury lawyers and ask about this. You can find some at www.attorneypages.com. They might also have an opinion on whether you can sue the driver of your car for stopping payments on your injuries.

Good luck,

This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential