• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car advertised in paper Does advertising party have to honor price?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dlackey

California
Car advertised in paper. I went to buy it they said they made a mistake. Does advertising party have to honor price.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dlackey said:
California
Car advertised in paper. I went to buy it they said they made a mistake. Does advertising party have to honor price.

My response:

If it was truly a "mistake", then the disclaimer, written in teeny, tiny, words at the bottom of the advertisement takes precedence; e.g., "not responsible for printing errors".

If they're not able to demonstrate that it was a true "mistake", then it also depends upon the disparity of the price; e.g., car is valued everywhere at $20,000.00, but the ad states they will sell the car for $200.00. If that's the case, it's a legitimate mistake, and unenforceable.

IAAL

D

dlackey

advertised Price was off by 5,000

There was no disclaimer on the add. the miles on the car wer also wrong

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: advertised Price was off by 5,000

dlackey said:
There was no disclaimer on the add. the miles on the car wer also wrong

My response:

It's highly doubtful that a dealership would advertise without a "disclaimer"; however, I'll presume that you're correct about that issue at this point.

But, without much more specific information (your post was very general, and without specifics), I would have to say, in my opinion, that a $5,000.00 price differential would qualify as a "mistake" and the law would not enforce a demand on your part. If it had been within a few hundred dollars, or even a thousand dollars, I would tend to favor your position. But, $5,000.00 is a bit much to hold their hands to the fire.

Good luck.

IAAL

D

dlackey

Re: Re: advertised Price was off by 5,000

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

It's highly doubtful that a dealership would advertise without a "disclaimer"; however, I'll presume that you're correct about that issue at this point.

But, without much more specific information (your post was very general, and without specifics), I would have to say, in my opinion, that a $5,000.00 price differential would qualify as a "mistake" and the law would not enforce a demand on your part. If it had been within a few hundred dollars, or even a thousand dollars, I would tend to favor your position. But, $5,000.00 is a bit much to hold their hands to the fire.

Good luck.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">