• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CAR BREAKS DOWN, DEALERSHIP SAYS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BtoB

A few weeks ago in ILLINOIS I co-signed on a '97 Chrysler Sebring for my little brother (he's 18). Since the car had problems with its ABS break system, the dealership offered to give us a price break if we took the car "AS IS". Among the piles of paperwork I had to sign, they snuk in a "AS IS - NO WARRANTY" form. I signed the form without realizing that it meant absolutely no warranty at all, not even on the engine or transmission.
Less than a month after we got the car the transmission broke down. The dealership states they are not responsible for any repairs, since I singed the "As is" form. They were very rude and very unprofessional, and even lied and told me that the person I bought the car from no longer works there (talked to him a day later, and he is still employed).
Is there any law that overrides the "AS IS" form and protects the customer? I just can't believe that a dealership can do this to a customer, sell a $10,500 car which breaks down after less than a month and requires over $3,000 in repairs. PLEASE HELP ME!!! I AM DESPERATE!!!

TCB4U2B2B

My Two Cents

Hello BtoB

There may be several methods to locate the help your seeking. First try calling the American Automobile Dealers Association. This organization helps to police it's own industry in an effort to maintain good relations with the public and weed out unsatisfactory dealers.

You could try calling the Chrysler Company directly.
Try calling the Better Business Bureau.
The states Automotive Licensing Bureau.
They DMV.
The states fraud department, etc.

However, you may need to consider the fact that most states due not have a cooling off time period when the item purchased is a vehicle. The complaint time may have long passed to effect a fair settlement and reading and understanding contracts can be extremely difficult under the conditions buyers are in when in a dealership.

X

Xjudge

You stated that you were accepting the car "as is" to obtain a price break, why are you surprise you signed no warranty form. A dealer can not sneak anything by you before signing, it is your responsibility to read everything you sign. The no warranty form is required by federal law to be displayed on every used car sold by a dealer in the U.S. It should have been obvious before even agreeing to buy the vehicle. And if you had done your homework, you would have found out used Chrysler products are very poor buys and should be avoided. I saw lawsuits brought by folks just like you all the time but it was rare for find for the plaintiffs in these types of cases. Your best hope would be that Chrysler will do something for you, the dealer no longer has any responsibility towards the vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">