• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Damage Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Doubleparked

What is the name of your state? South Carolina and Georgia

This happened in Aiken, SC. Although i live in Augusta.

Two months ago, my friend and me were drinking on the porch at his house. I drove my new truck and parked it right in front of his house. After long hours of just shooting the breeze about crap that happened that week, he finished his beer, and tried to throw it at the trashcan next to my truck. He missed and it hit my passenger door. I looked at it, and he scratch it. About a quarter of an inch mark.

Anyhow, i wasn't worried about it and said it was ok. It's just a small scratch. Didn't report it or anything. Continued to drink and talk more.

Two week later, i decided to get it repainted, and i paid out of my own pocket to get a different color.

Last week, he started to tick me off. Got into an argument and almost into a brawl.

My question is: What could he get for damaging my door and can I file a police report for the damage on my truck? I paid about 450 for the paint job, but could i have him pay me for the paint job?

He doesn't have a car and no auto insurance. I have a Georgia Driver's Licenses, but i'm currently staying in Aiken. Just to work, but plan to live here.

If i could sue him, what are my chances of winning? Considering, i don't have that mark on my door anymore.

If there is a post about this, just redirect me to the link.

racer72

I paid about 450 for the paint job, but could i have him pay me for the paint job?

No. You stated the bottle left a quarter inch mark. A typical pickup truck has 20,000 square inches of area (not including inside the box). That means the beer bottle damaged 1/80,000th of the truck. At your listed $450, it cost about 1/2 of one cent to paint the quarter square inch area. There is no way the bottle thrower could be held liable for painting your whole truck for one minor ding.

If i could sue him, what are my chances of winning?

None, you gave he a verbal release from liablity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">