• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car destroyed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tom-g

Here is the situation. I had a friend who is an auto mechanic work on my car at his home, not at his place of business. While he was working on the car, he did something that caused the car to catch fire, it destroyed the car and his house, fortunately no one was hurt. His insurance is covering his house but there is a question about my car. Should his homeowners cover my car or should my car insurance cover it? I live in NJ with required no fault car insurance.

N

NJPAT

Hopefully you have comprehensive physical damage coverage on your car (typically referred to as fire/theft). If so, report it to your company and let them figure it out. If you don't, then it becomes complicated...your friend's homeowners policy has standard exclusions for business pursuits (so if you were going to pay him, or have paid him in the past, the insurer will probably deny it) as well as exclusions related to damages arising out of the use of an automobile. So for at least the first go round the claim will be denied....if you have comprehensive, your company will take on all those headaches

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">