• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car flooded

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

radzevich

my 2017 honda HRV car was parked for about 10 days and when i returned to it there was about 3 inches of water inside. We had rain that week but the car was parked in a parking lot and no other cars appeared flooded. I cleaned it as best I could and called geico. I have comprehensive coverage with a $500 deductible and geico adjuster gave me a list of auto body repair places. The repair place had the car for 3 weeks and cleaned the interior, replaced the carpet but said it had to go to Honda for seat sensors to be re set. The auto body repair place determined that the flooding was due to a problem with my air conditioning system. I paid the auto body the deductible and they gave me all the paperwork to go back to Honda for reimbursement of my deductible as the car is still under full warranty.Should I contact Geico and let Geico try to get reimbursed from Honda or should I contact Honda directly?

PayrollHRGuy

Yes, you should contact Geico, They have a bigger dog in this fight than you do. And if they fully subrogate your claim you won't have a claim that will increase your premium,

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I just worry that Geico will somehow make me pay them back and make me go after honda. They paid the auto body place less my deductible > I hope you are correct and that they will want to recoup their$
That's not how it works. Geico will deal with this.

Was it water inside or coolant (green, red or yellow liquid)?
But saying that the amount of coolant that could have leaked from the heater core would not be enough to fill the car to a depth of 3 inches.

Zigner

Was it water inside or coolant (green, red or yellow liquid)?
But saying that the amount of coolant that could have leaked from the heater core would not be enough to fill the car to a depth of 3 inches.
Nor would a faulty A/C. An A/C doesn't even HAVE water in it (directly), and even the condensate from a vehicle parked for 10 days would not be enough to flood the interior of the car to a level of 3"

Nor would a faulty A/C. An A/C doesn't even HAVE water in it (directly), and even the condensate from a vehicle parked for 10 days would not be enough to flood the interior of the car to a level of 3"
True, so I was thinking of alternative sources for water in the cab and could only think of coolant from the heater core which in most cars is in tandem with the A/C evaporator core.
Don't forget the information came from an auto body repair shop and therefore prone to up-selling and BS, commonly referred to in the trade as 'Wallet flushing'

PayrollHRGuy

The "problem with the Air conditioning system" could be a leak from outside the car into the air conditioning system.

Zigner

Bottom line: If there is actually a defect in the car, then Honda should pay for it. If the OP goes directly to Honda, then he'll have to reimburse his insurance company. If the OP lets Geico deal with it, then the OP doesn't have to do anything else. Either way, if there is a defect, then a hurdle the OP may have is that he didn't afford Honda the opportunity to repair it.

adjusterjack

I just worry that Geico will somehow make me pay them back and make me go after honda. They paid the auto body place less my deductible > I hope you are correct and that they will want to recoup their$
Geico has a contractual obligation to take care of covered repairs no matter who caused the damage.

Give your Geico claim rep all the information. If and when your company recovers the full amount of the claim you'll get your deductible back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">