• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car insured but owner does not drive?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonbits

Only for the purposes of pointing out that you misconstrued what was said.
It's the same as the difference between your mom owning her house and your mom letting you live in the house.
That's not correct at all.

A named insured can change the policy at will. I could cancel the policy, change any of the terms, add or subtract cars, add other listed drivers, etc.

However, it could be that to remove a named insured, the policy would have to be canceled and rewritten.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are a long time poster, you should understand that you need to address these questions to someone specific rather than in general.

In this tread I was asking for advice from the experts on "car insured but owner does not drive" and have not offered any advice of my own. I assume you aren't addressing this to anyone else who has offered advice?
https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/denied-claim.654800/Yes, you offered insurance-related advice to another poster.

Zigner

A named insured can change the policy at will. I could cancel the policy, change any of the terms, add or subtract cars, add other listed drivers, etc.
You are 100% wrong. You could do NONE of those things as a named insured.

Dragonbits

One thing that you should consider...if the owner of the car has no insurance, and gets sued because she is the owner of the car, she will have no coverage and would have to pay for an attorney out of pocket. Any money you save by not having her on the policy would be far outweighed by the potential risk.
That was a concern of mine.

I wonder if joint ownership changes that?

Probably just easier to transfer title and eliminate any possible problem.

Just Blue

As you don't seem able to figure out your own insurance issues, I suggest you refrain from "advising" others.

adjusterjack

If I remove her from the auto policy, but she remains the sole owner of the car, does this create any sort of future problem with that car if involved in any sort of accident?
You need to stop dancing around this issue and go to your agent with a LETTER saying:

"My mother has mild dementia. Her driver's license has lapsed and she will never drive again. I have all the keys to the car. Please relay this information to the underwriters and come back and tell me what has to be done with the policy and the car."

Then, whatever the underwriters tell you to do, you do.

Bottom line though, there is no alternative to selling her car, or at least titling it over to you so it can be insured for your use, and dropping her policy.

Whatever else you think you can accomplish with your "what if" questions isn't going to happen and if you do have an accident involving her car, when the claims people find out you concealed your mother's condition from them (and they will) the claim can be denied and the policy rescinded leaving you to pay for any damage or injuries or lawyer fees that the insurance would ordinarily have paid for. That is a nightmare you do not want to experience.

That's exactly what you should be doing.

There is no gimmick that will change that necessity.

Dragonbits

I can ask again, but so far they let me to all of those things.

Lot's of sites on the internet disagree with you. Can you provide a reference that says you are right?

================================================

A named insured is mostly the owner of the car insurance policy. The named insured purchases the insurance policy is responsible for making any changes or handling any issues directly with the insurance company on behalf of any drivers covered by the policy, and is, of course, protected by the car insurance policy’s coverage. Part of being a named insured includes the following:
https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-a-named-insured-527417

LdiJ

Yes, that would probably be better. That is what we did with my dad's pickup when mom finally yanked the car keys from him. He had dementia and was getting lost a lot.

PayrollHRGuy

That's not correct at all.

However, it could be that to remove a named insured, the policy would have to be canceled and rewritten.
Neither I nor anyone else here can see the policy. If the policy is written and Mama and Dragon bits sure you can change the policy. If you remove Mama from the policy you will likely have an issue at the registration renewal because there won't be a policy in the name of the registered owner of the car. And as has been mentioned if Mama gets sued because she is the owner of the care she will be SOL.

Just Blue

Lot's of sites on the internet disagree with you. Can you provide a reference that says you are right?

A named insured is mostly the owner of the car insurance policy. The named insured purchases the insurance policy is responsible for making any changes or handling any issues directly with the insurance company on behalf of any drivers covered by the policy, and is, of course, protected by the car insurance policy’s coverage. Part of being a named insured includes the following:
Commercial sites are unreliable. Try a .gov or .org for information.

Zigner

From YOUR OWN CITE:

Who is not a named insured?

All drivers living in the household who are not listed in the title of the car as an owner and are not married to the owner need to be listed as a driver rather than as a named insured. Also, any children in the household generally would not be included in the named insured.

You commented previously that the insurance may have been confusing you with your dad, and I think that's what's happening. In any case, you are NOT the owner of the insurance policy, and I doubt that you (as opposed to someone sharing your name) are even a named insured.

PayrollHRGuy

Here's the definition of Named Insured.

Any person, firm, or organization, or any of its members specifically designated by name as an insured(s) in an insurance policy, as distinguished from others that, although unnamed, fall within the policy definition of an "insured."

In most cases the named insured is the owner. I'm betting Dragonbits is either an additional insured or a named driver. Or nothing at all.

Zigner

I agree that I was incorrect in my earlier statement regarding the role of a named insured. I don't believe that the OP is a named insured. I think his dad is, and they share the same name.

adjusterjack

Here's the definition of Named Insured.

Any person, firm, or organization, or any of its members specifically designated by name as an insured(s) in an insurance policy, as distinguished from others that, although unnamed, fall within the policy definition of an "insured."
Absolutely right.

Thank you for sparing me the participation in this argument.
;)

xylene

Your relationship with your parent is weird.

She is 92 and has dementia. How much 'arguing' could there be?

Cath her in a good mood, "Mom, it's time to get rid of the car, sign this so I can sell it for you."

You should be reporting her mental condition to the DMV so she can't try on her own.

If you insist on inaction, you might want to sabotage the vehicle as well as keeping the keys. She may have one secreted somewhere. Something simple like removing the ignition module would work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">