• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car loan and the DMV

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? any US state
If you dont pay a car loan and you keep on the move so bank cant repo the car can the bank report it to the DMV so you wont be able to renew your license or tags? Dinner is riding on the answer. I say yes they can.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? any US state
If you dont pay a car loan and you keep on the move so bank cant repo the car can the bank report it to the DMV so you wont be able to renew your license or tags? Dinner is riding on the answer. I say yes they can.
We don't "do" hypotheticals (you know that).

justalayman

Is Any the 51st state?

I'm presuming you are speaking of a car with a lien on the title.

Generally no, they can't, at least due to the contract issue. The DMV is not going to take an action based on a lien because the DMV does not know why the lien is there, they have no access to the contract or anything else that is the basis for the lien, and even if they did, they are not about to get into the middle of a contract dispute.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">