• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car lot has not payed my tags

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gabriell95

Hello. I am new here my name is gabriell. I was looking for advice on something that is currently happening to me. About 3months ago I got a car on payments from a car lot here on California. I got the car as in house finance where I put half the month down and rest in payments. Opon purchasing vehicle they had told me I would receive registration within 2-3weeks. Well it's been over 3months now and I still have not received it. Not only is that the problem they had also told me that they would pay the tags due to the ones having on would expire soon. Before tags were expired I called them and asked to see if they had them and I was told that they didn't. I kept calling every 2 days after that to see if by any chance they have gotten them and I was told the same thing every time and these were there exact words "maybe this week they will be here" for the last 2 weeks. I got frustrated not being able to drive my car due to expired tags. So I went in to the car lot dealership and the owner himself told me they had not gotten them because the car auction they purchased the vehicle from have not released the car to them. I then told him why would he sell me a car that wasn't released yet to them then? He then said to be patient about the situation. So I walked up out of there angry. My point he sold me a car that has not been released to him from a 3rd party. What do I do? Do I keep on paying this car even thoe I can't even drive it? Can I sue him? Please need advice.. due to this happening I'm taking a uber every morning to work..

xylene

The OP is quite possibly a victim of a type of title fraud by the dealer.

He should contact a lawyer in his area for a free consultation. Rescinding the purchase with damages is on the table.
It seems that a number of lawyer may even take this sort of title jump case case on contingency.

Depending on the exact circumstances / extent of the practice this may be a criminal act by the dealer, with scads of money owed to the state.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The OP is quite possibly a victim of a type of title fraud by the dealer.

He should contact a lawyer in his area for a free consultation. Rescinding the purchase with damages is on the table.
It seems that a number of lawyer may even take this sort of title jump case case on contingency.

Depending on the exact circumstances / extent of the practice this may be a criminal act by the dealer, with scads of money owed to the state.
While I don't disagree about the possibility of some sort of fraud is going on, I am not so sure that this is actually a matter of "title jumping".

xylene

While I don't disagree about the possibility of some sort of fraud is going on, I am not so sure that this is actually a matter of "title jumping".
I don't think that absent an investiagation it would possible to determine for certain there is a fraud, but the time delay alone plus the dealer's conduct and the circumstances of a auction sale is extremely suspcious and this action by dealers is very common. The time element alone is enough for the OP to demand a rescission of the sale.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't think that absent an investiagation it would possible to determine for certain there is a fraud, but the time delay alone plus the dealer's conduct and the circumstances of a auction sale is extremely suspcious and this action by dealers is very common. The time element alone is enough for the OP to demand a rescission of the sale.
Fair enough

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">