• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JerroC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? (Atlanta, Ga)

Yes, I appreciate y'all taking the time to answer this but I'll get right to the point. I purchased a car on Craigslist. The owner signed over the car to me. I have the title and have yet to put it in my name. I haven't had the chance to pay the new TANF tax law Georgia implemented. Because I have the title, it's signed over to me, we have a written agreement (and notarized) of said transfer, is there anyway he can take the car back from me or can I be in any trouble with the law if he decides that he wasn't happy with the sale? Again, the title IS NOT in my name however, the only thing keeping me from getting it in my name is paying the taxes on a title transfer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Yes, I appreciate y'all taking the time to answer this but I'll get right to the point. I purchased a car on Craigslist. The owner signed over the car to me. I have the title and have yet to put it in my name. I haven't had the chance to pay the new TANF tax law Georgia implemented. Because I have the title, it's signed over to me, we have a written agreement (and notarized) of said transfer, is there anyway he can take the car back from me or can I be in any trouble with the law if he decides that he wasn't happy with the sale? Again, the title IS NOT in my name however, the only thing keeping me from getting it in my name is paying the taxes on a title transfer.
You are required to do the transfer within seven days of purchase.

LdiJ

He cannot take the car back but you can certainly get in trouble with the law in all kinds of different ways.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">