• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car registration problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


John Mirse

What is the name of your state? virginia

Car registration problem.

Let me give you a hypothetical situation:

1. A female relative in her late 30's decides to quit her job and travel
through Europe and Asia. She doesn't know how long she will be gone. It might
be a year or longer.

2. She leaves her car with her father. She tells the father to dispose of the
car as he wishes.

3. The father and other relatives use the car.

4. It is nearing the time that the car state registration needs to be
re-newed, but the father has not heard from his 30ish daughter in almost a
year, and he does not know where she is or how to contact her.

5. Problem: The father wants to continue to drive his daughter's car until she
returns, and he doesn't mind paying the registration fee.

6. Question: What can the father do so that he can continue to drive the car
until his daughter returns in one year or in 5 years or longer?

7. Can the father pay the registration fee and sign his daughter's name to
the registration form, or could he go to jail and be in a lot of trouble if he
signs his daughter's name to the registration form?

8. Suggestions/comments appreciated. [email protected]


Kaz the Minotau

If he forged his daughter's name on purpose then yes he could go to jail. I'm sure there would be legal way for you to re-new the registration though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential