• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car rental costs after accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Michigan

I was rear-ended in May 2002 and the guy who hit me was issued a ticket and delclared at fault. I have car rental costs of about $650.00 above and beyond what my insurance covered. Can I sue him in small claims court for to recover my $650.00?

Thanks in advance! doug


Senior Member
Somethings not right here.... if your insurance paid this, why didn't they pay the full amount claimed and then go back (subrogate) against his insurance (or him if uninsured)??

In any case, if you can prove that the damage was caused by him, you can sue to recover your reasonable and proven damages.


My insurance company is Progressive. My agent told me my car rental coverage was limited to $20 per day for not more than 30 days and if I needed car rental beyond 30 days I would have to pay that myself.

Also, my agent wouldn't even recover my deductible from the other guys insurance company. I had to call the other insurance company myself to get them to pay me for my deductible, but they said they would only pay 50% of my deductible because after they conducted their "own investigation" they felt I was 50% at fault. Which is not correct. I was not at fault.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on this!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential