• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Rental Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prashuss

What is the name of your state? CA

Hi.....
I've rented a car. But my name is added as a secondary driver. And on the trip, my friend who is a primary driver is not coming. Also, we've not taken any single insurance on this rental car since my friend is having all insurance covered since he has his own car, and his own car's insurance covers evrything for rental car as well.
Now my question is while I'm on trip, my friend will not be there with me in my rental car. So, if an accident occurs or if something goes wrong & if the cop asks me for the insurance papers, then what should I tell them? Is it legal to drive a car without insurance paper? I mean I've the insurance but it is on my friends name who is a primary driver. How safe is it to drive a car in such scenario????

Thanks.

Did you commit any kind of fraud in renting a car in your friends name when clearly he never intented to drive it?

Better have your own police or goodbye life earnings if you hurt or kill someone. In most states it is illegal to drive without insurance coverage and your friends probably just won't cut it. Have him call his agent and find out!

prashuss

Hi.....
The reason is simple. He told me that he'll rent a car for me & that way saving my money of insurance. So...let me know if I can do such things...I need to know if I can show a copy of his insurance paper in case if something goes wrong? Also, if it is ok to drive a car in sucha cases????
If accident occurs, say...just a collision damage or so....then, what should I do in that case since I won't be having the insurance papers.

Please reply politely...

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">