• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Repossesion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dchrisman11

Oregon & Washington

I purchased a new car for $21,000. I made a down payment of $16,000 and took a $5200 loan for the remaining balance. The loan was at 34% interest rate. Due to hardship and homelessness I fell behind on payments.
The finance company that I received the loan from handle their own collections and repo so it never was sent to another collection company. However they reported and then vehicle stolen and I was arrested for possession of stolen vehicle and spent 17 days in jail and currently out on bail and currently fighting this felony charge in s Superior court. The vehicle was still registered in my name. While in jail the finance company sold the vehicle back to the dealership I originally purchased a vehicle from for $9800. They stated that the loan balance was $9600 but after the sell the loan balances then 7800 and they sent me $800 check. So they included all future interest payments as well and have it listed on my current work as a paid off and charge off however they had listed it as a charge off before even the repossession. The only documentation I have is the purchase agreement from the dealership which does State who I’m taking a loan from and the amount. I have never spoken to the finance company until after this happening and have never signed any documentation or contracts with them other than the purchase agreement from the dealership.

The dealership resold my car for $15,000 not even a year after original purchase. Keep in mind the only documentation that I’ve ever received from the finance company was one statement that listed and past due amount of $2700 nothing else. It was mailed to a friend of mine‘s parents that had nothing to do with the loan. Then afterwards being released from jail when I contacted the finance company to obtain my personal belongings that were in the vehicle as well as the surplus check that was due to me inform me that they didn’t have any address for me on file so anything that was ever sent was sent to a general delivery address that was listed on my current credit report. He’s a lie because like I said the one document that I received from them which again was a statement of the account balance smelled an address to my friends parents home so they definitely did have a differen he’s a lie because like I said the one document that I received from them which again was a statement of the account balance was mailed and addressed to my friends parents home so they definitely did have an address on file. Even showed up at this location to repossess the vehicle that of course wasn’t there because I don’t live there.

The dealership and finance company I look at in Oregon however I was arrested and car or impounded/repossessed in Washington. Something seems also unfair the oldest considering how much money I put down on the vehicle. And the fact that now I’m facing criminal charges and I spent so much time in jail. All let’s not Forget to mention that they have failed to return my personal property as well.

My car was my only home and shelter and my source of income(I drove Uber)and the only thing that I had in this world . I have a disability that makes life A lot more difficult on myself then most others.

I don’t know what to do , the court-appointed attorney hasn’t helped either. There’s no precedence for this for this type of case has never been heard before a judge or jury before.

I don’t know what to do. Please some advice! And explanation of what has happened.

Thank you.

Mass_Shyster

The only thing your court appointed lawyer can do is defend you against the charge of receiving a stolen motor vehicle. You have to deal with all of the other issues yourself, or you can hire a lawyer to help you.

I’ve been successful in getting similar charges dismissed in Massachusetts, though that may not be relevant to your case.

See if you can set up an appointment to meet with your lawyer at his or her office. Waiting until you are in court isn’t usually a good idea as he or she probably has multiple cases going on at once.

Good luck

LdiJ

It boggles my mind that a lienholder can get away with reporting a car stolen, when its in the possession of its registered owner. It boggles my mind that a police officer, when confronted with the driver's license and registration of the registered owner, would/could proceed with an arrest.

adjusterjack

It boggles my mind that a lienholder can get away with reporting a car stolen, when its in the possession of its registered owner. It boggles my mind that a police officer, when confronted with the driver's license and registration of the registered owner, would/could proceed with an arrest.
Mine too, but I'm guessing that there is a lot more to this story than is being told.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">