• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car taken without permission by unlicensed minor, crashed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kimfrkeanjo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My neighbor's teen stole my car, crashed into my neighbor's truck. My insurance is liability only.
The neighbors truck has been paid by his carrier already. Can they file suit on me for the money?

Do I have any recourse with my own carrier, if I had underinsured motorist coverage? I know I can file charges....but if I do the parents are the ones who will be paying....court fines, etc...she is only 15. I am not trying to do that. We are friends/neighbors, and any money she would have to pay to the court in fines is money she could be paying towards fixing my car.

The neighbor with the truck that was hit made a suggestion. Get a few estimates and file a civil claim against the teen....when she gets a job, at some point, her wages can be garnished. The damage is likely 2 or 3 thousand. What do you think?

Just Blue

My neighbor's teen stole my car, crashed into my neighbor's truck. My insurance is liability only.
The neighbors truck has been paid by his carrier already. Can they file suit on me for the money?

Do I have any recourse with my own carrier, if I had underinsured motorist coverage? I know I can file charges....but if I do the parents are the ones who will be paying....court fines, etc...she is only 15. I am not trying to do that. We are friends/neighbors, and any money she would have to pay to the court in fines is money she could be paying towards fixing my car.

The neighbor with the truck that was hit made a suggestion. Get a few estimates and file a civil claim against the teen....when she gets a job, at some point, her wages can be garnished. The damage is likely 2 or 3 thousand. What do you think?
Did you file a complaint with the local PD for the theft of your car? If not...Why not?

Just Blue

https://forum.freeadvice.com/drunk-driving-dui-dwi-27/charged-dui-when-i-wasnt-driving-610031.html#post3300156

CdwJava

My neighbor's teen stole my car, crashed into my neighbor's truck.
And, you reported this theft to the police, correct?

My insurance is liability only.
Anyone can sue anyone else for anything. Winning is not as easy as suing.

If you are sued, work with your insurer.

I know I can file charges....but if I do the parents are the ones who will be paying....court fines, etc...she is only 15. I am not trying to do that.
Then you will be liable because you will be seen as consenting to the taking of the car. You can't have it both ways. Either the car was stolen, or it as taken with your permission and you can be held at least partially liable.

We are friends/neighbors, and any money she would have to pay to the court in fines is money she could be paying towards fixing my car.
If you have made any civil arrangement, then you have pretty much torpedoed any chance of a criminal case.

Bad idea. By the time you might be able to compel restitution you might have either forgotten about it (she's 15, ya know), or, it will be too late to collect.

ecmst12

Uninsured motorist coverage would not cover your car in this situation. If it really was a theft (how did she get the car to start? Did she have access to the keys, did she steal the keys, did she hot wire it?) and you treat it like a theft and report it to the police, then comprehensive coverage will cover your car (if you have it).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">