• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

car-theft leads to judgement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Aleena

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

nine month ago i got car-jacked and robbed. my leased vehicle was recovered three days after this happend, stripped and damaged. it took five month to repair and replace damages, no personal loss was replaced and my financial situation changed in the meantime. financially and due to the ordeal there was no way i could any longer remain in the lease ( i had the vehicle for a period of 16 month until the car-jacking and had another 14 month left on the lease). i agreed to a voluntary repossession.
now an attorney has contacted me in behalf of the leasing company, basicly with two options...to pay the differnce of the auctioned vehicle and the original lease amount, or them seeking a judgement against me.
i don't know what else i have to endure after everything i allready have went through. i am a single mother and barely make enough money to support my child and me and pay bills.
i appreciate any advice. thank you

C

CaliCat

Whatever they do, you can declare bankruptcy. It might be best if you are as hard off as you say. They don't throw people in debtor's prison like in the 1800's, so don't worry too much.

A

a neighbor

Just wondering if the CRIME VICTIMS COMPENSATION PROGRAM of your state would be able to help?? Wouldn't hurt to ask. You didn't say how much you owe, be a shame to go bankrupt if you don't owe a whole lot. Give it a try, and good luck!

http://www.nccrimecontrol.org/vjs/cvcp0.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">