• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Title transfer need help asap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ogreatfuzzy1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

To make a long story short i live in ohio and bought a car in Ohio which has a Indiana title. The guy i bought it off never transferred it over and it hasn't been notarized but the woman that sold it to him signed the back of it. I was told by a friend of mine, i need the woman present to get the title notarized even though she already signed for it, the only problem i see there is that i known alot of people in different states that bought cars off ebay shipped to them though shipping company's and the titles was signed but not notarized. i know i need to have the car inspected but what can i do to get this in my name ASAP, if not im screwed i need the car

thxs
~Fuzzy

Last edited:

CraigFL

Indiana doesn't require a notorized signature but Ohio does. For example, if you had purchased an EBay car legitimately registered in Indiana, it would seem to be unlikely that they would require a notarized signature on the Indiana title. But, you have a problem because the person that sold you the car is probably trying to circumvent car dealer and sales tax laws which makes it difficult for you to speak honestly about the facts in the situation.

justalayman

bought a car in Ohio which has a Indiana title. The guy i bought it off never transferred it over and it hasn't been notarized but the woman that sold it to him but signed the back of it. ~Fuzzy
was it assigned to the in between buyer? What I mean is was the person who you bought it from listed on the title? If so, he will need to get the title transferred to his name and then signed over to you. If his name does not appear on the title, you could fill in your info and apply for the new title.

The BIG BIG problem with this; this leaves the guy you bought the car from out of the picture should there be any problems, including legal ownership problems. If the car is stolen and somebody forged the owners name, you do not have a receipt from that person showing you bought the car from the rightful legal owner. In that case, you have just caused yourself a lot of legal problems and most probably a loss of all your money.

Unless you personally know everybody involved, you should never attempt to screw the state out of their take (sales tax) because it can easily bite you in the ass. It is illegal to actually do it the way you are describing.

ogreatfuzzy1

no his name isn't on the title anywhere, there is only hers. im not trying to do anything illegal just trying to get a car put in my name so i can drive it. this is the first time i bought a car from out of state. I am speaking honestly about the facts and thats all that has happened. i bought a car and now trying to find out how to transfer it over since i never done this before,

~Fuzzy

justalayman

no his name isn't on the title anywhere, there is only hers. im not trying to do anything illegal just trying to get a car put in my name so i can drive it. this is the first time i bought a car from out of state. I am speaking honestly about the facts and thats all that has happened. i bought a car and now trying to find out how to transfer it over since i never done this before,

~Fuzzy
I did not infer YOU did anything illegal. The guy selling it to you is (tax evasion) PLUS if he is not legally the owner, he will now be out of the picture (or at least less visible) and YOU will get screwed if there is a problem with the title to the car.

While there may be absolutely no problems with the chain of title, if there is, YOU are the one that is going to get burned.

If you are happy with that possibility, go for it. I am simply telling you that unless this was my very close relative or the guy I have known for 20 years AND lives very close to me AND he has not moved for many many years, I would not risk it. Not today in todays world with todays criminals.

ogreatfuzzy1

I did not infer YOU did anything illegal. The guy selling it to you is (tax evasion) PLUS if he is not legally the owner, he will now be out of the picture (or at least less visible) and YOU will get screwed if there is a problem with the title to the car.

While there may be absolutely no problems with the chain of title, if there is, YOU are the one that is going to get burned.

If you are happy with that possibility, go for it. I am simply telling you that unless this was my very close relative or the guy I have known for 20 years AND lives very close to me AND he has not moved for many many years, I would not risk it. Not today in todays world with todays criminals.
thxs for clearing that up with the way i read it, it sounded like you was talking about me. i understand what your saying, i was gonna call a police station in Indiana and call in the vin to make sure it wasn't stolen. i have done that for cars i bought here in Ohio. thxs for giving me some advice man it gives me something to think about

~Fuzzy

tankueray

You can check the VIN here: https://www.nicb.org/

You should also look into filing for a lost title (usually a form from the DMV). This has happened to me before.
Always check the title and make sure it's in the sellers name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">