• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Title Trouble

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Evertri

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I apologize if I am not posting in the correct area, I am new to the forum. My husband and I are going through the process of a messy separation. The issue I am having is that I am the sole title owner of the vehicle he has been using to drive to and from work. I do not want the vehicle and I have asked him on several occasions to please come with me to the DMV so that we can do a title change. I have even said I would pay all of the fees for the transfer. Unfortunately, he flat-out refuses to do the title transfer and yet and still he continues to drive the vehicle getting multiple red-light tickets which because the vehicle is registered to me comes mailed to the house in my name. This is a nightmare situation for me the only option it seems would be for me to contact the police to report the vehicle stolen, which is such an extreme measure and to make matters worse he has been abusive throughout the duration of our marriage so I do fear retaliation if I choose this option. I just want to be free, he can have this car, but just get it out of my name. Is there another option I can use given that I am the sole title owner to do a title transfer or even revoke the title and plates on the car? Any advice would be appreciated.

PayrollHRGuy

@Evertri Reporting the car stolen could well end up with you being charged with filing a false police report. That is a very bad idea.

Have you filed for divorce? Do you have a lawyer for that divorce?

Last edited:

Evertri

I definitely do not want to do anything illegal.
No I have not filed for divorce as of yet, but I did go to the local court house earlier this morning to see what I would need to do to begin the process and if there was any low income assistance legal assistance I can recieve.

Evertri

I thought he drove it to work every work day...
He does odd jobs, the locations vary there is never a "set" job location and now that he is no longer living in the home or communicating with me the locations of his job sites. I have no idea where the car is being kept anymore.

xylene

Find out where with some well meaning subterfuge then strike.

STRIKE STRIKE STRIKE.

Repo that car. Then he'll be sorry.

Evertri

Find out where with some well meaning subterfuge then strike.

STRIKE STRIKE STRIKE.

Repo that car. Then he'll be sorry.
I wish I could walk in behind him 24 hours a day with a band of women holding signs screaming STRIKE, STRIKE, STRIKE :LOL: .

God knows I just want this to be over. I just don't understand why he just wont just do the title tranfer?!? I offered to pay, I'm giving him a completely paid for vehicle without a fight. It's as if he is deliberately getting the red light tickets knowing that I will be responsible for paying them. I have no choice but to pay them because I don't want to get in trouble. The tickets are not cheap it is costly and I don't have that kind of money to take care of our children and to continue to pay for frivolous back to back red light tickets. I just received the most recent red light ticket today in the mail this is the third one and just two weeks. I tried to call him yesterday and I was sent directly to the voicemail. Im embarrassed to admit but I begged and pleaded on his voicemail for him to please just do the title transfer 2 hours later he sent me a text that just simply said "no". Its 5:13am CST I'm tired and I have been up crying for hours, I just feel so trapped.

LdiJ

I wish I could walk in behind him 24 hours a day with a band of women holding signs screaming STRIKE, STRIKE, STRIKE :LOL: .

God knows I just want this to be over. I just don't understand why he just wont just do the title tranfer?!? I offered to pay, I'm giving him a completely paid for vehicle without a fight. It's as if he is deliberately getting the red light tickets knowing that I will be responsible for paying them. I have no choice but to pay them because I don't want to get in trouble. The tickets are not cheap it is costly and I don't have that kind of money to take care of our children and to continue to pay for frivolous back to back red light tickets. I just received the most recent red light ticket today in the mail this is the third one and just two weeks. I tried to call him yesterday and I was sent directly to the voicemail. Im embarrassed to admit but I begged and pleaded on his voicemail for him to please just do the title transfer 2 hours later he sent me a text that just simply said "no". Its 5:13am CST I'm tired and I have been up crying for hours, I just feel so trapped.
You can protest the red light tickets by proving that you are not the driver. If you can prove that you were somewhere else when the offense happened and rat him out as being the driver, you can get the tickets changed to his name.

Evertri

You can protest the red light tickets by proving that you are not the driver. If you can prove that you were somewhere else when the offense happened and rat him out as being the driver, you can get the tickets changed to his name.
Oh this would be wonderful, I had no idea I could do that!!! I was always under the impression that the red light tickets were set in stone and impossible to fight. His ticket has pictures and even a link to a video showing him going through the lights like they aren't even there, but you cant see his face or anything. Thank you, for this advice I'm going pull my work schedule this most recent ticket happened while I was at work. I hope that will be proof enough to help me, thank you again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">