• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car vandalized 2x in < than 2 weeks, suing landlord/prop mgmnt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jerry Messick

What is the name of your state? Washington
I have been living in this complex in Renton, WA for close to 9 mos. This is supposed to be a "gated" community but the gates have never been fixed or in operating condition since I have been there. On 8-10, at 4:30 am , someone (not a resident) hit my car in my assigned parking stall leaving the bumper so damaged that it was stuck on the payment. $1000.00 estimate to repair. This past Friday nite/early Saturday morning, someone kicked in the side of my car. I want to sue the complex for the damages to my car as this should not have happened if the gates were in working condition.

Do I have a legal leg to stand on? I don't have renters insurance. But my argument is this: if the gate was working, these people couldn't get in. They have it currently advertised as gated which to me, is false advertisement.

Cops are at this place alot. My lease is up end of Sept, but I am looking now. Can't and WON"T live like this. Gateway Pointe (gang banger city) .

I am frustrated and ticked off that the LL has not done anything about this issue or for that matter, any other ones.
Thank you for letting me rant :mad:

FarmerJ

Do you have your copys of the letters you sent certified to your LL complaining about the gat not working as well as your certified mail rcts?

BelizeBreeze

Unless there is a clause in your lease specifically stipulating that the landlord is responsible for damages to personal property, you have no case.

south

Do you really think a gate would stop someone getting in if they want to come in?

You do not know what would stop a vandal unless you are a professional mind reader.

Did the advert state the gate opens closes and locks?
If an advert states the premises has a gate and it does this is not false advertisement if the gate is open no matter how you twist it. The owner does not suddenly become responsible during the seconds a gate opens.

Did the advert state we guarantee the safety, take responsibility and will pay out for any and all damage to your possessions while on the premises.

Try contacting your insurance company that is why you buy insurance.

Jerry Messick said:
But my argument is this: if the gate was working, these people couldn't get in. They have it currently advertised as gated which to me, is false advertisement.

Cops are at this place alot. My lease is up end of Sept, but I am looking now. Can't and WON"T live like this. Gateway Pointe (gang banger city) .

I am frustrated and ticked off that the LL has not done anything about this issue or for that matter, any other ones.
Thank you for letting me rant :mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">