• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car window shot out on the road.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

matstars

What is the name of your state?NY
Occurred in PA

I was driving upstate, going through pennsylvania, and was in the left lane, another driver was behind me, brighting me, apparently i was not going fast enough for him. he went to pass me on the right (i went to get over but he came to cut me off) rolled down his window to say something, my friend rolled down the window to ask him what his problem was, he proceeded to open fire (at first i thought it was a real gun and was pretty scared...later we realized it was a bb gun did not find any bullets however). he shattered my rear windshield and did some damage to my car (maybe 9-10 bullets were fired and hit my car).

i luckily got his license plate, called 911 and they did nothing :-\. it was the end of a long trip and i told the operator i'd come in in the morning to report it. went to the police the next day and the officer was really nice and helped me out...

the prelim trial is in 3 weeks and i was wondering how i should go about this, all i really want is the money for the car, i mean it'd be nice to see go to jail, he has two previous records i received by typing his name into google, second degree harassment and posession of marijuana. any help is appreciated. i'd like to not have to take the 3 hour trip to testify so i was wondering how i could legally try to settle out of court, but if i gotta go, i gotta go...

matstars

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Simple. You have to go. If you don't, he goes free. He has the right to face his accuser - - and that's YOU. It's as simple as that. Also, if you don't go, you don't get any money for your damages, either.

If you go, he goes to jail. Then, when he goes on release probation, part of his probation requirements will be to make monetary restitution to you.

So, pack up for the trip to court.

M

matstars

Thanks!!!

question number 2...

what am i able to claim money for?

lost wages(i have to take off from work), body damage, rear window, etc?

also is there a way this could be thrown out of court? "no evidence" it was this kid, outside of the pictures the cop took and the three witnesses in my car(me, 2 friends)

You Are Guilty

Did your friends see him shoot? Hold the gun? Point the gun? Say "I have a gun" ? Witness testimony is still evidence in this state :)

M

matstars

You Are Guilty

matstars said:

You can "claim" whatever you like, lost wages, mental anguish, a new living room sofa, breast implants, etc. If you win, you'll likely only be compensated for the actual repairs of the physical damage, however. So make sure you get a big estimate :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">