• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Carbiz nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acultofpersonal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska

My friend purchased a car from a buy here/pay here place in Council Bluffs Ia. The business was Carbiz. He has only two car payments left, before he was supposed to have received his title. The Carbiz location he was doing business with went out of business and transferred all their unpaid car loans to a debt collector. Now the new company which is a collection agency wants my friend to pay an additional 500 dollars to get his title even though there is no written or verbal contract of that nature.
Is this legal? And what can he do? The collection agency claims they have the right to ask for that money and to keep the title of his car if he doesn't pay it. But he made all his car payments per his written contract - now his stuff is with a collection agency because Carbiz decides to go out of business - how is all this legal? He's ready to jump off a bridge over it - I can't believe they can get away with that! Help?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

acultofpersonal

Bless you Bless you - I feel really bad for him - it's not like we make a lot of money and he's always paid his car payments on time**************.just shouldn't be happening to him. thanks again for trying to help!!!

Hot Topic

If your friend were so desperate, he'd be posting, not you.

What you should do is to response to the agency with proof that you've made all your payments except for two. Pay them immediately, if possible, and send a copy of your written agreement with Carbiz that indicates that no money is due after the final payments have been made and the checks found to be good.

If they still balk at sending you the title, consult an attorney. Some will take cases pro bono (free).

And don't pretend to be the "friend." Most people can see through you.

acultofpersonal

Sorry - he actually is a friend he sits right across from me here at work. But he's had quite an afternoon and I was just trying to help him out. Thanks for the advice I do appreciate it -I'll pass this along to him.
Sometimes folks -there really IS a friend! LOL But I understand what you're saying****************************Thanks again

Hot Topic

And be careful your boss doesn't catch you handling personal matters for your friend or anyone else on company time:rolleyes: or you may need to write us again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">