• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

card game question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

westportmike

What is the name of your state? WA

I would like to patent / register a card game my family has been playing for generations. How do I accomplish that? What research can be done to make sure it is not already done?

Thanks - Mike

divgradcurl

In general you cannot patent a game, as games are not generally considered "patentable subject matter." Sometimes specific parts of a game can be patented -- like perhaps a special algorithm in a computer game that does something unique and unexpected -- but the game itself cannot be patented.

The general IP protection for creative works -- which is generally where games fall -- is copyright. You can go to www.copyright.gov and search registered copyrights, and also look into registering your copyright yourself. Although copyright protection affixes itself automatically as soon as a creative work is "fixed in a tangible format," registration of the copyright provides significantly more protection via the enhanced remedies one can seek in the case of infringement down the road.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">