• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caregivers are not taking care of the patients. Too busy on their cell phones.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Some federal courthouses do not permit anyone to possess cellphones inside - not even attorneys.

Yes, unfortunately. I remember I paid a lot of money for my first cell phone back in the early 90's in order to get a feature that enabled the phone to vibrate rather than ring because I noticed that anyone who used a cell phone on the street was stared at by everyone as if they were a space alien. Whenever I had to use it I would duck into doorways to hide from public view. The world has certainly changed quite a bit since then and I'm not convinced that it's for the better.
And yet, Apple watches are worn. :)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I remember when ear buds were first used....I would see someone apparently talking to themselves and would cross the street.
That goes way back before earbuds to the little Bluetooth phone thingies that kind of hooked around your ear. They were very small and hard to notice. My first thought when I see something like that in use (even today) is that the person is crazy.

FarmerJ

I too have seen every excuse under the sun for staff in group homes to bring phones into work , The staff who claim they need it so kids / school / relatives can call them I have told them ` they are free to give out the houses normal landline number and those who need to call them can dial it. im wondering if its going to take a vulnerable adult dying and the state it occurred in prosecuting the staff for neglect should they discover the staff was distracted on their phone.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And I am wondering why, if the situation is as bad as the OP suggests, she hasn't reported the negligence to the overseeing agency instead of trying to dictate policy.

The issue is not whether cell phones in the workplace are good or bad. The issue is whether the OP has the right to demand a change in policy over something that does not appear to affect her at all.
But it affects, or could effect the well being of all those entrusted to the facilities care.
A scenario. The emergency bell from one of the residents is activated and the responce is "I'll get that the minute I've finished with this really important call; text; Farcebook posting"

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I know I'm likely to go somewhat off-topic here, but hopefully, y'all will bear with me. My Dad spent ~6-8 weeks in a rehab/ALF last year, and I was there pretty much every day, for 6-8hours every day. Yes, I noticed a lot of staff on cell phones. But I noticed a lot of other things, too. Women and men who were overworked and had to accept verbal & physical abuse from people in pain and alone whose bodies were failing them. Heck - I listened to my Dad call an aide terrible things (and oh yes, I called him out on it - how often do you think that happens?) Whose families dumped them there with rarely a phone call. Yet were quite happy to dump on the people they *expected* to care for their family. For a pittance. Yep, it's expensive - until you break it down to an hourly rate.

Yep, it's mind-numbing. But if *we* don't care? Why do we expect strangers to - even if they're paid?

/rant.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'd also like to point out that unless the OP has been peering over the shoulders of her co-workers, which I imagine would incite remark, she doesn't know what it is they are actually doing. I have on my cell, in addition to the app for the security measure I am required by my job to have, the following:

An app I use exclusively for work that my boss recommended I download as it is more efficient than the website
An app that, while I can use for my personal use, relates to the products my office supports and which app I am expected to be able to demonstrate for our employees
An app which includes, among other things, a map of the campus and the shuttle bus routes/schedules so that I can plan for attendance at off-site meetings
Two apps that, while I downloaded for my personal use, I have found myself using as often for work-related reasons

Additionally, my boss has been known to communicate by text even when we are both in the office.

Whatever you may think of cells in the workplace, workplace culture varies and someone being on their cell phone is not necessarily goofing off.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Could also be checking med side effects, interactions, when an out-of-facility person is due to come in.... I'm sure there are others.

Pinkie39

I know I'm likely to go somewhat off-topic here, but hopefully, y'all will bear with me. My Dad spent ~6-8 weeks in a rehab/ALF last year, and I was there pretty much every day, for 6-8hours every day. Yes, I noticed a lot of staff on cell phones. But I noticed a lot of other things, too. Women and men who were overworked and had to accept verbal & physical abuse from people in pain and alone whose bodies were failing them. Heck - I listened to my Dad call an aide terrible things (and oh yes, I called him out on it - how often do you think that happens?) Whose families dumped them there with rarely a phone call. Yet were quite happy to dump on the people they *expected* to care for their family. For a pittance. Yep, it's expensive - until you break it down to an hourly rate.

Yep, it's mind-numbing. But if *we* don't care? Why do we expect strangers to - even if they're paid?

/rant.
Absolutely. My daughter worked as a dietary aide in a hospital, and dealt with a lot of verbal abuse from patients. As well as once having an angry patient throw something at her, coming close to striking my daughter in the head.

She works at an upscale assisted living facility now, also as a dietary aide. The residents she works with are elderly, but relatively healthy, so fortunately it's not as stressful as the hospital.

My brother is in a predominately Medicaid funded nursing facility now, after a stroke last year. He has mental health issues as well, and has had outbursts at staff there. I do feel badly that they've had to deal with his behavior. The staff at those places certainly are underpaid for what they put up with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">