• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

carpet stain

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dan197

we live in So.Dak. we got some dog bones from a store. when we got home the carpet was stain with a red tint from the bones. i think our insurance co. will cover this, but should we contact the store first to see if they will do anything. we were going to clean the carpet but I think we should not have to do this ourself. were should we start?

D

Donna32669

Carpet Stain

First, were these "rawhide" type pre-packaged? If so, I don't think the store where you purchased them is at fault. Check the packaging. Let your insurer know too if there is no warning on the lable since they may want to subrogate against the manufacturer should this turn in to a larger claim I ask because I have a dog and noticed that brand I use does mention something about stains. Regardless, contact your insurer if you want to, it is your duty to prevent further damage so try not to let this stain sit and get so worn in that it CAN NOT be treated or removed. If you have a standard HO policy it should be "All
Risk" on the dwelling, and if this is wall to wall carpeting (and not a throw rug) it would be considered part of the dwelling. However, your deductible will apply so check with the insurer and they may advise you to contact a reputable cleaner, or get a couple of estimates to remove the stain. That I imagine will be at your expense unless it exceeds your deductible. But, do contact them because if it can not be cleaned then the carpet will probably need to be replaced. (P.S. - If this was pre-packaged "treats" and they DO warn about possible stains, that should not change your right to file a claim, there is no "stupidity exclusion" (just kidding) last time I reviewed a policy! Believe me, I have seen some good ones....the best involving a cooler of shrimp spilled in the living room! Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">