• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Carrying a handgun on K-12 school property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liskaerik

I would like a quick clarification on ORS 166.370(3)(d).
Under the Oregon Law, am I allowed to carry a handgun on K-12 school property if I have the appropriate concealed weapons permit?

Note to moderators. I moved this post myself.

FlyingRon

It's an affirmative defense. This means they can arrest you but you can show your permit at trial to avoid a conviction.

Of course, if you discharge the weapon or commit any other crime, your permit means nothing.
Public bulding is defined in section 360 to include public and private schools.

ajkroy

Just a quick note, because the poster doesn't state her age: regardless of your carry permit, if you are a student at that school and you make the poor choice to bring a firearm, you can be expelled.

ajkroy

Similarly if you are staff you may be subject to personnel action (like being fired).
Side note: many state's teacher's unions are working on legislation to have staff be allowed to carry firearms in school. Some have actually gotten pretty far, albeit quietly. It isn't exactly something they want to advertise, kwim?

As a high school teacher (and we have a minimum of two active-shooter workshops per year), I cannot imagine shooting a child. Maybe if another Adam Lanza came along, but not a kid. And I'm from NH, where TONS of people wear guns right out in the open (Live Free or Die and all that).

Silverplum

Side note: many state's teacher's unions are working on legislation to have staff be allowed to carry firearms in school. Some have actually gotten pretty far, albeit quietly. It isn't exactly something they want to advertise, kwim?

As a high school teacher (and we have a minimum of two active-shooter workshops per year), I cannot imagine shooting a child. Maybe if another Adam Lanza came along, but not a kid. And I'm from NH, where TONS of people wear guns right out in the open (Live Free or Die and all that).
Here in Colorado, I'd advise shooting armed and vicious "kids:" Harris, Klebold, Pierson... :(:(:(

TigerD

I'm not going to give you an analysis of the Oregon law. You can ask an Oregon attorney for that. My question is far more basic:

Why do you want to carry a gun at a school? It doesn't matter if you have a "right" to or not. You will be hassled or arrested. You will make the evening news. Unless you are trying to make a statement, there is no real purpose in risking the potential disruption and disarray to your life and the lives of all the people impacted by your choice. If you want to make a statement, you should rethink that. The nation isn't ready for that kind of silliness.

TD

quincy

I understand, first of all, that all states are handling their open-carry/concealed-carry laws differently.

In Michigan, there was a teacher who openly carried a military-style weapon into a high school and, upon a report to the police by a concerned parent who had just dropped her child off at the school, the school was placed on an immediate lockdown and a SWAT team was dispatched. The teacher was surprised by the arrival of SWAT because he has been a military history teacher at the school for years and he had brought without a problem the same gun to school every year as a teaching tool for his class.

It is a different time. Weapons on school campuses, whether legally allowed or not, can generate a panic.

single317dad

I understand, first of all, that all states are handling their open-carry/concealed-carry laws differently.

In Michigan, there was a teacher who openly carried a military-style weapon into a high school and, upon a report to the police by a concerned parent who had just dropped her child off at the school, the school was placed on an immediate lockdown and a SWAT team was dispatched. The teacher was surprised by the arrival of SWAT because he has been a military history teacher at the school for years and he had brought without a problem the same gun to school every year as a teaching tool for his class.

It is a different time. Weapons on school campuses, whether legally allowed or not, can generate a panic.
Times have indeed changed. In my own rural area, everyone who owned a pickup truck had a gun rack in the back window. They were as ubiquitous as left turn signals (though I admit a few vehicles were apparently missing those as well!) Everywhere we went as I grew up there was a .22 Marlin lever action and a 12ga Mossberg pump hanging behind my head, even in the school parking lot. I carried a pocket knife to school every day for at least 10 years. We never would have even considered using those tools inappropriately.

Nowadays this same area (which is still quite rural and quite politically conservative) generally frowns upon the display of firearms. Many of us still carry concealed weapons, but there are no gun racks and no one carries their rifle down the shoulder of the road on their way to squirrel hunt, as I did so many times growing up. There's a gun-free sign at the entrance to the school grounds (though it's not really enforced, as there are no guards anywhere). I can only imagine the absolute chaos that would ensue if one parent saw another with a gun on the campus.

1974: "Sheriff, Billy Bob's down at the school with his shotgun." "Why, didn't he get that groundhog yet?"

2014" "Sheriff, Billy Bob's down at the school with his shotgun." "Call State and get SWAT out there. Notify the National Guard. How many are dead?"

liskaerik

Just a quick note, because the poster doesn't state her age: regardless of your carry permit, if you are a student at that school and you make the poor choice to bring a firearm, you can be expelled.
Thanks for your replies, and i apologize for not mentioning this upfront but I am 22 years old. I volunteer a lot in the K-12 field and I wanted to double check that I could concealed carry legally without any issues.

davew128

Please, there was an incident in San Diego county a few months ago where a professor was flashing around his folded up umbrella outdoors, someone from a distance mistook it for a rifle, and the college ended up on lockdown. Overkill people?

quincy

Please, there was an incident in San Diego county a few months ago where a professor was flashing around his folded up umbrella outdoors, someone from a distance mistook it for a rifle, and the college ended up on lockdown. Overkill people?
Overkill? Possibly.

However I know that in some cases reports that could have or should have been made were not made and, had they been, lives potentially could have been saved.

In other words, some reports might seem absurd only in retrospect.

LdiJ

Thanks for your replies, and i apologize for not mentioning this upfront but I am 22 years old. I volunteer a lot in the K-12 field and I wanted to double check that I could concealed carry legally without any issues.
I still think that its a really bad idea.

davew128

Overkill? Possibly.

However I know that in some cases reports that could have or should have been made were not made and, had they been, lives potentially could have been saved.

In other words, some reports might seem absurd only in retrospect.
The guy was stopped on the sidewalk with a SWAT team training semi auto weapons on him. IT WAS A FREAKING UMBRELLA (on a rainy day), and no his name was NOT Oswald Cobblepot. :rolleyes:

http://atlanta.thedailydigest.org/2014/08/23/swat-team-surrounds-white-male-carrying-large-umbrella-on-campus/

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">