• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Case closed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Good evening,
My mom lives in PA. Almost 3 years ago, she & my sister were a car accident. They went to hospital & physical therapy. Sister received a settlement last summer, while mom continued to wait for hers.
This past Monday, mom's attorney informed her that she wouldn't be receiving a settlement due to having limited tort homeowners insurance with Allstate. My sister was driving, she has Nationwide insurance, mom doesn't drive nor own a car.
I hope I'm relaying this correctly, because it's confusing.
According to the attorney, Allstate doesn't allow a settlement unless there's permanent disability, which the MRI & X-ray showed no permanent disability.
I've never heard of using homeowners insurance in an automobile accident before. Mom has CIGNA. Where does Allstate fit in & why?
The attorney alleged he lost money & asked if i can close the case. Mom said no, sister said yes.
Assuming I explained this correctly, can someone help makes sense of this to a please?

adjusterjack

I've never heard of using homeowners insurance in an automobile accident before
Somebody is misunderstanding something. When it comes to auto accidents, limited tort applies to auto insurance not homeowners insurance.

Ask your sister for a look at the auto policy she had at the time of the accident. It should show whether she chose limited tort or full tort.

Where does Allstate fit in & why?
My guess is that Allstate is the insurance company for the driver that caused the accident and Allstate is declining to pay for pain and suffering because neither your Mom nor your sister had injuries that exceeded the limited tort threshold.

The attorney alleged he lost money & asked if i can close the case. Mom said no, sister said yes.
Each one has separate cases. Your sister is entitled to close hers.

Without knowing the extent of the injuries I can't say why your sister got a settlement and your Mom didn't.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">