• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Case Dismissal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hmoralesjr

California - Today I had a court hearing to cancel my probation. I was previously arrested for stealing a car. I served 2 yrs and 7 months for probation. I went to my hearing and the judge happily ended my probation. I was kind of confused because it only took 2 minutes to do. But I was kind of wondering if he could have my felony reduced to a misdemeanor. On the way out I asked to District attorney if I need to file anything to have my sentence reduced. She then asked the judge because she wasn't sure. He looked at my file again and then said since I had not finished all my probation the deciscion was his. He then smiled and said he would dismiss my case. I was like okay. I think thats good. I still walked out confused because I just wanted my felony removed from my record. Do I still have a felony on my record? Or do I still have to do something else to have this removed? What does case dismissal mean? Can anyone help?

JETX

On the surface it sounds like you won the lottery!!!

However, no one can tell you what happened without reviewing the casefile and talking with the DA. I would suggest that you have your attorney call the DA and discuss your case... or wait a few days and call the DA yourself and try to get a feel for what actually happened.

stephenk

better yet, go to the court and request to see your file. Have a copy made of the minute order for the hearing you attended. The minute order is the official record of what the judge ordered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">