• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cash seizure from customers during a raid at local convenience / game room because they were told it was suspected of being used in a crime. Is that

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Yes I did. Is it legal for the police to be taking the customers money
The answer is "it depends."

You have not provided enough facts to tell if the what the police did in taking customers' money was legal.

If a customer walked into a gas station to pay for gas or walked into a convenience store to buy snacks, the police cannot just take that customer's money.

But I suspect that the customers who had money confiscated were at the gas station or convenience store for an illegal purpose, hence the misdemeanor charges. How the confiscated money plays into these charges is a question mark.

Again, try to find an attorney in your area who can offer you a low or no cost opinion.

LdiJ

What info do you need . The police have been doing raids on these places for years now. They come in arrest the clerk & owner & give citations for class C misdemeanors to the customers and take every ones money. Some even get there car impounded.
So, are you saying that someone could get paid on a Friday, cash their paycheck and have cash, then go to a gas station to fill up their car, and have the cops raid the gas station and take their pay? Without them having anything to do with the gambling machines?

Mass_Shyster

So, are you saying that someone could get paid on a Friday, cash their paycheck and have cash, then go to a gas station to fill up their car, and have the cops raid the gas station and take their pay? Without them having anything to do with the gambling machines?
Stranger things have happened.

Search for "civil forfeiture" for some of the abuses that have gone on.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Search for "civil forfeiture" for some of the abuses that have gone on.
Exactly. That's why I have for years advocated for reforms to civil forfeiture laws either to eliminate them entirely (which is my preferred solution) or short of that to significantly reform to narrow when they apply, put the burden on the government to justify the forfeiture and require that to be proven with clear and convincing evidence, prohibit forfeitures that would greatly exceed whatever the maximum fine or restitution would be, and very importantly prohibit the agency that does the seizure from being able to use the seized assets or get the cash from them. The assets should go to the general treasury instead. Texas had a bill last session that would have completely eliminated civil forfeiture; it's a shame it did not pass.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">