• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cashing out an IRA that was started with profits from home sale.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I sold my home last year and I took some of the profits and opened an IRA which I later rolled into a CD.
Since the IRA was started with profits from a home sale rather than income do I have to report any money I withdraw to the IRS?
The transmission went out in my car and I need to buy a newer car and I would like to cash out a good down payment from my IRA.
Am I going to penalized in addition to the early withdrawal fee?

Thanks

FlyingRon

There's something missing here. When you made the IRA contribution, did you not report it on your taxes? That should have lowered your tax liability for the year.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
There's something missing here.
One of the things we are missing here is what kind of IRA the taxpayer bought. How this works out depends very much on whether it was a traditional IRA or a Roth IRA. We also do not know the age of the OP, and that matters too.

The amount I put in the IRA still wouldn't have brought up my deductions above the standard deduction amount. It was a Roth IRA that I rolled into a 60 month CD. I am in my late 30's. Thank you all for the replies.

FlyingRon

You're making even less sense.

First, contributions to a Roth aren't deductible at all. Contributions to a regular IRA do not go on itemized deductions (the part that goes against the standard deduction), they are an adjustment to income and come off the top (schedule 1 this year).

The fact that the money came from a home sale is immaterial (and hopefully, if you owed any capital gains on that sale, you paid them rather than thinking you could just roll the gross into the IRA).

Now, since it is a Roth, you can pull out your contribution without penalty. You lose the tax free treatment as well as owing a ten percent penalty on the Roth IRA earnings if you take these out. I suspect since we're talking about a CD and a very short time frame, there really isn't much earnings to worry about, but you'll have to pay the tax.

That is why I am in the forum. The bank I go to doesn't know anything about IRA's or taxes. They know how to put your money in an IRA, but have no idea how to advise anyone. I made well under the $250,000 capital gains limit. I am the working poor and only make $35,000 a year. I am trying to be smart with my money so that I have something at retirement age.

FlyingRon

So how much money did you put into the Roth?
How much do you want to remove?

If you want to withdraw no more than your contribution (and haven't previously removed any), you don't have a tax issue. The contributions come out first before the earnings. If you pull out any of the interest, then you'll have to report and pay the tax/penalty on that though, again, given what CDs pay over the short term, you probably don't have much of this to begin with.

I might also suggest that you do some research on financial planning (lots of books in the library as well as internet sources) rather than relying on a bank to tell you. In the long run, CDs are pretty lousy retirement vehicles.

I have a 401K, but I don't trust the stock market long term and want to eventually move some money out of it to somewhere else. We are in a debt economy and it can't last and won't last without another crash. So I am trying to put money in different locations, especially places that are not stock dependent.

BuyLowSellHigh

There are money market funds available within a IRA or 401k. These are similar to a savings account at a bank.

I don't have a high degree of confidence in the stock market at this level so I moved my personal 401k to money market.

davew9128

There are money market funds available within a IRA or 401k. These are similar to a savings account at a bank.

I don't have a high degree of confidence in the stock market at this level so I moved my personal 401k to money market.
Used to have an older client who would invest her IRA in bank CD's. It wasn't a problem until the CDs matured and she started shopping banks for CD rates and rolling the money over every 90 days. She couldn't understand why she got a tax notice showing several hundred thousand in taxable distributions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">