• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cat in Apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Need2Know

I live in PA and have rented my apartment for 4 1/2 years. My landlord permitted me to have a cat during this time. My cat recently died, and I got a kitten. My landlord found out and said, 'no cats' and that he had made an 'exception' the first time.
I don't recall him telling me that his allowing me to have a cat was an 'exception'.
I don't think my lease mentions my cat, however, the original application I filled out, which he okayed did. (I have a copy of the completed application, but it doesn't contain his signature, only mine. I don't think the realtor gave me a signed copy of it.)
Should I still be permitted to have a cat? My first cat would still be in my apartment if he hadn't passed away, so why should it matter if I have a cat, except it is a different one?
I'm a good tenant, who takes good care of the apartment and keeps it clean. I always pays my rent and expenses on time. My first cat was housebroken, and my landlord never complained about it. The kitten I have now is also housebroken.
I would appreciate your input. Thank you.

ALawyer

You'd really have to look at the lease -- assuming you are not now month to month (in which case the landlord could say that's it and find a new apartment at the end of next month or with a cat the rent is 4X the current rent).

But this is a matter of trying to reason with the Landlord, not what the law is or threatening. Find out what is his or her underlying concern.

Is it that the cat may mess up or claw up the place? Perhaps an increase in security deposit will do it.

Is it that it sets a bad precedent? The precedent was already set.

Is it that the kitten will escape? Or Howl? Or is not housebroken? Agree to get rid of it or move if that happens.

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

I've litigated many pet cases in New York. Say your lease has a "no pet" provision and you have a cat. That cat remains there and nothing is said. The "no pet" provision has been waived for that particular cat. The cat passes on. Now you get a new cat. For the new cat, the LL can enforce the "no pet" provision, even though it was waived for the previous cat.

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

My pleasure. Please note the language that follows (I've added a signature section). You're in PA - I answered according to NY law. Be sure to double-check with a PA atty. Best Wishes!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">