• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Catastrophic Failure of Bio-Heart Valve Replacement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HeartBroke13

What is the name of your state?Maryland

Can my wife file a lawsuit for a failed heart valve replacement? Valve was replaced 3 years ago for her bicuspid aortic valve. They told us we would get 10-15years from this bovine valve. It failed in 3 years maybe sooner as my wife was feeling sick for some time. One of the stents on the valve completely failed, causing symptoms of heart failure. We replaced the valve with a mechanical one. The Surgeob said he’s never seen a valve fail in this manner.

quincy

What is the name of your state?Maryland

Can my wife file a lawsuit for a failed heart valve replacement? Valve was replaced 3 years ago for her bicuspid aortic valve. They told us we would get 10-15years from this bovine valve. It failed in 3 years maybe sooner as my wife was feeling sick for some time. One of the stents on the valve completely failed, causing symptoms of heart failure. We replaced the valve with a mechanical one. The Surgeob said he’s never seen a valve fail in this manner.
It can be worth a personal review by an attorney specializing in medical product defect cases. The initial consultation should be free. The cases are (generally) taken on a contingency basis where you pay nothing unless you collect on your claim.

I am sorry to hear about your wife's heart valve failure. Good luck.

commentator

I have picked up a little unfortunate knowledge about this type of situation having been involved with a "device failure" related to surgery.

First of all, my deepest sympathies to you and your wife about your having to have this surgery repeated so quickly after the first one. I understand, since I have also had a similar type of surgery, that for a while afterward, you are post traumatic and even may have nightmares about having to repeat the process for several years if it doesn't happen! So sorry that you folks had to do it again so quickly. I very much hope your wife's new artificial valve will work well forever.

And everyone, everyone who was not in the medical field that we talked to about our surgery where the device failed said, "Can't you SUE somebody about this?" So we did a bit of checking.

We did several consults with attorneys (free ones, of course.) We did lots of discussing with medical professionals. We came to some basic conclusions.

One thing we discovered with a device failure is that when a suit is a possibility, you quickly become VERY UNPOPULAR with other surgeons/medical professionals who might see you and give second opinions. We were actually refused as clients by a couple of practices. It took persistence to get other good medical opinions.

And many first rate law firms will not deal with these sorts of medical malpractice cases. We became very leery of those who were eager. The exception was, of course, those who advertise on tv and talk specifically about this particular device produced by this particular company that they want to sue.

In order to prevail in a case of this type, you would have to show that the installation of the valve was in some way wrongly done by the physician, or they knowingly used a defective part, in which case other surgeons would have to be willing to testify that your doctor did something wrong something that could be interpreted as malpractice. That isn't easy to get them to do in most cases, unless there has just been terrible outright obvious negligence on the doctor's part.

We were told that sometimes the attorneys who are doing the suing will sue every physician who has treated you for the condition, figuring it will work itself out in the whole court case. In other words, if another doctor sees you, they are included in the suit brought by your attorney, and must defend themselves simply because they treated you. No wonder they were hesitant to take us on as new patients.

Otherwise, it must be shown that there is a design or manufacturing flaw in the actual device that was installed. In this case, the suit would be against the company. Needless to say, this is bigger than most local lawyers want to take on.

You will quickly find that the paperwork you signed may have indicated that you could possibly expect ten to twelve years of success with this part, there were certainly no guarantees made as to how long it would last. I myself read all the information, optimistically decided I'd get the max out of it, and chose not to use it because I don't want to think about having another such surgery in my 90's!

And even when there is a tv lawyer soliciting for clients who used this particular device this is a big and extended process. They prefer to talk to you after you've had the device replaced and you've been treated AFTER the snafu, so that your damages can be more appropriately assessed.

Frankly the more we investigated suits, the more we decided to let it go. Perhaps it was a defective part. Perhaps it was installed incorrectly. Perhaps the particular part your wife received was incorrectly prepared to be used, or it just came from an unhealthy animal in general. But a lawsuit in this case sure turned out to be less likely and less of a solution than we cared for. You will be likely to find out something similar, IMHO. Again, very best wishes for a quick recovery for your wife and good health going forward.

Last edited:

quincy

If there is a product defect, no one benefits by ignoring the defect.

While I can understand commentator's advice based on her personal experience, I think it is a mistake to not investigate the reason(s) for the valve failure.

Last edited:

commentator

Ask your physician(s) why they think the device failed. Ask the medical professionals if it appears there was a product defect. If they think the device malfunctioned, they should be really interested in not using it again, or determining if it is something they want to continue to use. Perhaps the place that sells, prepares, processes the part is defective.

A few years ago, several Tennessee people died as a result of spinal injections that had come from a really awful unsafe production situation. There was a huge lawsuit, and eventually the owners of the lab that made these drugs were prosecuted criminally. Heaven knows I am not advocating that you let things go that should be investigated and dealt with.

But suing a company related to this sort of part is a really big deal; it's hard to find anything but a class action lawsuit that will be willing get into it. Do research on the internet to see if others have had similar problems with this particular company's brand of valve replacement device. And of course, getting consults with attorneys is always recommended, I'm just saying what I found to be the case. It answered for us the big "why don't you sue somebody??"question we kept getting.

quincy

Ask your physician(s) why they think the device failed. Ask the medical professionals if it appears there was a product defect. If they think the device malfunctioned, they should be really interested in not using it again, or determining if it is something they want to continue to use. Perhaps the place that sells, prepares, processes the part is defective.

A few years ago, several Tennessee people died as a result of spinal injections that had come from a really awful unsafe production situation. There was a huge lawsuit, and eventually the owners of the lab that made these drugs were prosecuted criminally. Heaven knows I am not advocating that you let things go that should be investigated and dealt with.

But suing a company related to this sort of part is a really big deal; it's hard to find anything but a class action lawsuit that will be willing get into it. Do research on the internet to see if others have had similar problems with this particular company's brand of valve replacement device. And of course, getting consults with attorneys is always recommended, I'm just saying what I found to be the case. It answered for us the big "why don't you sue somebody??"question we kept getting.
I am glad you clarified your previous post a bit, commentator. :)

No one should base their own important legal or medical decision on someone else's personal experience, as similar as the experiences might be. It will be the details in all cases that matter.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">