• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Catch-22 on late rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dcchick

I live in the District of Columbia and I am past due on my rent - I just changed jobs and have not been paid for three weeks. I have not yet paid my November rent, and have been served with a notice to go to court for non-payment. I will be able to pay November's rent prior to this date, but not December. My landlord has said that they don't accept partial payments, and they won't accept one month's rent when the other is due. I want to avoid going to court since I just started a new job.

If I pay November, I avoid going to court, but my landlord won't accept November because I owe December. How do I resolve this situation without going to court?

Thanks!

HomeGuru

Where are you getting your information from? If you got served with a notice to appear in court then you must.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">