• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caught realtor in lie, misrepresenting facts about house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Caught the realtor lying about the facts of house in writing but not on an official form. Left a hand written note for buyers/inspectors. He' was scared the sale will fall through because a government loan(fha) is involved. We suspected of lying before and electronically signed documents without permission among other things including making multiple crossouts to make document confusing. Says others in family told him so. I didn't.

Is this criminal, civil or for a licensing board. -

Just Blue

Caught the realtor lying about the facts of house in writing but not on an official form. Left a hand written note for buyers/inspectors. He' was scared the sale will fall through because a government loan(fha) is involved. We suspected of lying before and electronically signed documents without permission among other things including making multiple crossouts to make document confusing. Says others in family told him so. I didn't.

What state?

LdiJ

Have you discussed the matter with the other family members involved? An FHA loan is unlikely to cause a sale to fall through.

It would certainly be inappropriate for a realtor to electronically sign anything on behalf of someone else.

Other family knows and also wants realtor fired. But they seem to have gone along with some of their poop. Also realtor drags feet or sends texts and email very late like he's trying/hoping we miss it. Realtor also did some other ify things but we agreed to unfortunately. This involves an estate. One lawyer said we're under contract so I guess we have to finish with the company if not the realtor? Also in Pa.

quincy

Other family knows and also wants realtor fired. But they seem to have gone along with some of their poop. Also realtor drags feet or sends texts and email very late like he's trying/hoping we miss it. Realtor also did some other ify things but we agreed to unfortunately. This involves an estate. One lawyer said we're under contract so I guess we have to finish with the company if not the realtor? Also in Pa.
The contract needs to be read in its entirety to determine what you can and can’t do without penalty.

You always have an option to replace a person you hire with someone else. You just might have contractual obligations to the person you fire (e.g., payment for services rendered, percentage of sale agreed to in contract, etc).

FlyingRon

I know you think that this is distinct from your other issues with the estate and sale of the property, but you shouldn't really scatter your problem across multiple threads. It impedes people from having a big enough picture to answer the question.

Again, you're going to have to indicate what state this is.

As Q points out, the question is not if you can fire the broker, but whether they are still entitled to the commission when the property eventually sells.

If this agent works for a brokerage, you may wish to contact the brokerage with your concerns. (Note "Realtor" is not a generic term for agent. It's a trademarked term for an agent who is a member of the National Association of Realtors.

It's hard to tell based on your vague statements. Notes to inspectors really don't mean much of anything. If they e-signed documents without authority, then whoever's name was "signed" to the document will have course of action. As for strikethroughs, such is not uncommon with the preprinted forms. It's obligatory for those who sign contracts to understand what they're signing no matter how obfuscatory they may appear. If the strikeouts were done after the fact, then you may have serious issues.

Since both you and the other heir here seem to have retained counsel, you should be talking to your lawyer(s) and possibly to the estate attorney as well.

I know you think that this is distinct from your other issues with the estate and sale of the property, but you shouldn't really scatter your problem across multiple threads. It impedes people from having a big enough picture to answer the question.

Again, you're going to have to indicate what state this is.
It's across a couple of threads because there are two big issues related but seperate. The estate issues ie taxes, bills, closing it out and then there is the sale of the home which is needed for the final estate tax return,distribution of funds etc. We are/were using the estate lawyer to review documents as well including the house sale documents The state is Pa.

Just Blue

It's across a couple of threads because there are two big issues related but seperate. The estate issues ie taxes, bills, closing it out and then there is the sale of the home which is needed for the final estate tax return,distribution of funds etc. We are/were using the estate lawyer to review documents as well including the house sale documents The state is Pa.
All related questions should be on one thread. We don't like to hunt down the posting history for background.

BuyLowSellHigh

I would agree with FlyingRon's suggestion of contacting the brokerage. Is there an office manager you can talk to? Share your concerns. Ask if you can work with another realtor from the office. If the sale falls through then asked to be released from your listing agreement.

quincy

I would agree with FlyingRon's suggestion of contacting the brokerage. Is there an office manager you can talk to? Share your concerns. Ask if you can work with another realtor from the office. If the sale falls through then asked to be released from your listing agreement.
There are, or will be, three lawyers involved - the estate attorney and separate attorneys for the two coexecutors. I think it would be smart for need2consult to have his attorney do any contacting, after the attorney has had the opportunity to personally review the contracts and the facts.

zddoodah

Caught the realtor lying about the facts of house in writing but not on an official form.
Who caught the realtor? You? What facts? What is the "writing" in question, and what does "official form" mean?

Left a hand written note for buyers/inspectors.
Who left this note? I'll note that this is the second sentence in a row at the start of your post that lacks a subject. It's best not to leave it to your reader to guess about stuff like this. Also, what did this note say?

We . . . electronically signed documents without permission
What documents, and why did you sign them without permission?

Is this criminal, civil or for a licensing board.
Without a coherent description of what happened, it is impossible to say with any certainty.

quincy

Who caught the realtor? You? What facts? What is the "writing" in question, and what does "official form" mean?

Who left this note? I'll note that this is the second sentence in a row at the start of your post that lacks a subject. It's best not to leave it to your reader to guess about stuff like this. Also, what did this note say?

What documents, and why did you sign them without permission?

Without a coherent description of what happened, it is impossible to say with any certainty.
I would bet that at least one of the three attorneys involved will figure it all out without our help. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">