• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caveat on probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mom lives in New Jersey. Her husband recently passed away. He did not have a will. He had a car that was registered in his name. After he passed away she decided to get his car registered in her name. When she went to the MVC she was told she couldn't register it in her name because there is a "caveat" on that vehicle.
One of her husband's sons put a caveat on the car.
My question is; how does she get this caveat removed or how does she fight it, Is it worth fighting for and is it a long process?

FlyingRon

The caveat isn't a DMV thing, they just have notice of it. The caveat is filed with the surrogate's office to warn that this property needs to be subject to probate. If she was a joint owner (with survivorship rights), she should be able to go to the surrogate's office and have it removed. If she wasn't she'll need to probate the estate anyhow. Either way, the surrogate's office will issue a certificate to take to the DMV to release their hold.

Just Blue

My mom lives in New Jersey. Her husband recently passed away. He did not have a will. He had a car that was registered in his name. After he passed away she decided to get his car registered in her name. When she went to the MVC she was told she couldn't register it in her name because there is a "caveat" on that vehicle.
One of her husband's sons put a caveat on the car.
My question is; how does she get this caveat removed or how does she fight it, Is it worth fighting for and is it a long process?
Why did you delete your original thread? I told you to post all questions regarding this topic there...why did you delete the thread?

The caveat isn't a DMV thing, they just have notice of it. The caveat is filed with the surrogate's office to warn that this property needs to be subject to probate. If she was a joint owner (with survivorship rights), she should be able to go to the surrogate's office and have it removed. If she wasn't she'll need to probate the estate anyhow. Either way, the surrogate's office will issue a certificate to take to the DMV to release their hold.
Thank you so much!
She wasn't a joint owner, on paper. If I may ask, what do you mean by "probate the estate"?

Just Blue

I figured my thread would reach the right people here. With all do respect, does it really matter?
Actually yes. It does matter. The volunteers here are able to read all the forums, So what you did was unnecessary. Deleting the efforts of the volunteers is rude...especially when told to keep all question to 1 thread.

Okay....
My apologies. I didn't know the proper etiquette. I meant no disrespect.
I think you're taking this way to serious.
I'll just delete my profile and move on to another website so I don't offend anyone else.

Just Blue

Okay....
My apologies. I didn't know the proper etiquette. I meant no disrespect.
I think you're taking this way to serious.
I'll just delete my profile and move on to another website so I don't offend anyone else.
You were told the proper etiquette. You then deleted that thread plus the thread you were directed to post your new question to. You don't need to delete again, which would be rude, just keep all question on a topic to one thread.

You were told the proper etiquette. You then deleted that thread plus the thread you were directed to post your new question to. You don't need to delete again, which would be rude, just keep all question on a topic to one thread.
Ok. I will never post anything here or visit this website again. If you look back at the posts, you're the one who is being very rude!

Just Blue

Ok. I will never post anything here or visit this website again. If you look back at the posts, you're the one who is being very rude!
How so? By politely asking you not to start a new thread for every question on the same topic? By inquiring why you would delete a thread that a volunteer took the time to research and assist you on? Is that what you find "rude"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">