• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cc fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeanlaverne

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington state.

My husband (we are seperated and have been for 4 1/2 yrs.)gave me his credit card numbers to use. He noticed some charges he did not recognize on his statement and assumbed that the girl he just broke it off with charged on them. He disputed the charges and got an investigation going. He later thought to ask me if they were my charges. When I replied that yes they were, he said that the cc company is investigating it as fraud and he can't stop the investigation and that I may be charged.

Is he correct in saying he cannot stop the process? How can the cc company prosecute me when I was authorized to use the cc's? Is he telling me truths as far as the law is concerned?

Thanks so much for your help on this matter.

Debt Guy

Well, he can call the credit card company and say he made a mistake.

Or, he can stand by his story that it was fraud and that you used his account fraudulently.

If he pursues the latter course, the credit card company will require him to file a police report. Then things could get sticky.

This is really a dangerous practice -- now you know why.

HomeGuru

jeanlaverne said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington state.

My husband (we are seperated and have been for 4 1/2 yrs.)gave me his credit card numbers to use. He noticed some charges he did not recognize on his statement and assumbed that the girl he just broke it off with charged on them. He disputed the charges and got an investigation going. He later thought to ask me if they were my charges. When I replied that yes they were, he said that the cc company is investigating it as fraud and he can't stop the investigation and that I may be charged.

Is he correct in saying he cannot stop the process? How can the cc company prosecute me when I was authorized to use the cc's? Is he telling me truths as far as the law is concerned?

Thanks so much for your help on this matter.

**A: we don't think you told the whole story. It appears that you were NOT authorized at the time of your using his accounts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">