• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ceiling caving in(kinda long-sorry)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


What is the name of your state? KS
My SIL just moved into an apartment in June, when her lease ended at her previous apartment. They told her the apartment would be ready in June. She moved in and they actually were not finished with repairs so they told her they would get them fixed ASAP. She had already moved out of her other apt. and had no choice except to move in. They notified her that the ceiling in one of the bathrooms needed painted because it had some unsightly stains. Needless to say, they were not just ugly stains. The bathroom upstairs was leaking into her bathroom. She notified the office on numerous occasions, maintenance came by twice and said he would be back to fix repairs. The unsightly stains are now huge, gaping holes, with water actually "flowing" through them. She has gone to the office, she has called, she has done everything in her power to get these people in here to fix the problem. It is now almost September and now they wont even return her calls. Legally--what can she do. I did advise her that she needed to keep on paying rent, that that probably wouldnt do anything but give them an excuse to evict. Can she pay to have the repairs done and then deduct it from rent--legally? Should she get a lawyer? Any advice would be great. Thanks.


Senior Member
First, She has not done everything in her power .

She Needs to call The City or Town's property code inspectors office and make a Formal Complaint . They will come out to investigate the Property as a whole , and cite the Owner for any and All code violations , and give the owner X amount of time to repair them .

If all else fails then yes, she needs to consult a Landlord/tenant attorney .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential