• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cell phone contract help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? NY

My friend uses our PO box to recieve his cell phone bill. But some time ago he left the country. We called the cell phone company, to tell them not to send bills, and also to cancel his cell phone. After explaining the situation, they told us that we still had to pay for his cell-phone until it expired. A few months has since passed. We called them again to make sure that the cell phone contract would cancel on time, so we needn't pay any more. But they said that although the contract canceled we would still recieve bills for the plan, as the plan doesn't cancel automatically.

So we explained the situation again, that he has been out of the country, and moved somewhere and we can't get a hold of him. However they replied that we still need to pay his bill. I asked what would happen if we just stopped paying since he isn't even here and it isn't even our phone. And the reply was that his credit rating would drop.

But, because we had paid for him for some time, will this also affect our credit rating? And, will the send collection agencies to harass me in search of my friend? Is what they told me, and what they made me do right or legal?


Junior Member
the cell phone is in his name, but the company told us they'll continue to send us the bill, regardless whether he is there or not as only he can cancel it.
The bill that's in his name is not your responsibility. This bill will not effect your credit rating...since it's not in your name.

Why did you pay for his bill anyway?


Senior Member
Write on each unopened bill "return to sender". After a while they will get tired of getting them back. Or submit a change of address form in the guy's name and have the bills sent to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential