• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cellulitis

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lemi

What is the name of your state? OHIO

I had went to an ER for back pain, the doc decided to administer meds through an IV. 2 days later my whole hand and arm swelled up and a red line going up the arm. I went back to the same ER, the doctor said infection and offered a dose of antibiotic through IV. I laughed at him are you crazy? I want no more infection from this hospital. He gave me a presciption of Augementin for 10 days. I filled the prescription and started immediatly however I was worried, so that same day went to the best hospital in my city for another look at it and opinion. Told it is cellulitis and I did let them run some antibiotic through IV then the doctor told me to finish out the augementin given by the other hospital. The swelling went down some but I have lumps and tenderness in my arm, also some bruising all up the arm ( the IV was in my hand ) I had to pay 98.00 for my meds plus they will be billing me for these ER visits and I have no insurance. Do I have any case here? Also, I have this feeling this infection is something that is going to give me problems after the meds are all taken, as I have tenderness and lumps and a little swelling started up again. I am going back to an Er shortly here as I feel something is just not right.

lemi

By the way, I would like to add that I only have one kidney and I am very, very worried after reading up on cellulitis infection. No one has offered to put me in the hospital to run IV antibiotic for a full course.

What do I do?

ellencee

I had went to an ER for back pain, the doc decided to administer meds through an IV. 2 days later my whole hand and arm swelled up and a red line going up the arm. I went back to the same ER, the doctor said infection and offered a dose of antibiotic through IV. I laughed at him are you crazy? I want no more infection from this hospital. He gave me a presciption of Augementin for 10 days. I filled the prescription and started immediatly however I was worried, so that same day went to the best hospital in my city for another look at it and opinion. Told it is cellulitis and I did let them run some antibiotic through IV then the doctor told me to finish out the augementin given by the other hospital. The swelling went down some but I have lumps and tenderness in my arm, also some bruising all up the arm ( the IV was in my hand ) I had to pay 98.00 for my meds plus they will be billing me for these ER visits and I have no insurance. Do I have any case here? Also, I have this feeling this infection is something that is going to give me problems after the meds are all taken, as I have tenderness and lumps and a little swelling started up again. I am going back to an Er shortly here as I feel something is just not right...By the way, I would like to add that I only have one kidney and I am very, very worried after reading up on cellulitis infection. No one has offered to put me in the hospital to run IV antibiotic for a full course.

What do I do?
Infections can result from an IV through no act of negligence and the treatment you received was appropriate as verified by the second hospital's instruction to take the medication. The lumps you feel are most likely lymph nodes doing their job and the lumps/tenderness will resolve with time. You can use a heating pad for 10-15 minutes at a time three or four times a day and maybe it will help resolve the lumps/tenderness a little quicker.

Diabetes makes you prone to develop infections when others without diabetes would not.

Having one kidney should make you very aware of the need to avoid over-working it through such as unnecessary IV antibiotics that have to be filtered out through this single, diabetic-impacted kidney.

Make arrangements to pay your medical bills. Someone at the hospital should be able to assist you with this.

For your add-on, free English grammar lesson...you either "went to the ER" or "had gone"...never "had went". :)

Best wishes,
EC

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">