• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ch 11 - can the debtor file again in 7 yr on unpaid debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TX

I am in a suit against an organization for the abuse of myself and a number of other children raised there. It was filed in 2000, but they filed bankruptcy in 2003 I think. Things are progressing SO slowly in the courts, the judge approved their reorganization plan and settlement offer and payments were supposed to start in September. We got a letter stating they again pushed it back to 2006, though it doesn't give a month as far as time frame.

My question is this - someone told me they can file another chapter 11 on their debts from the first chapter 11 if they can drag it out for 7 years. If they can state that they can't afford to pay the settlement THEY offered, they can just refile bankruptcy on it again. Is this true?

Also - once the judgement is made and the judge signs off on the settlement agreement, does the money accrue interest until it is paid out in full?

thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">