• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ch 13 can you add alimony arrears

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bubby51

What is the name of your state?Iowa

want to get an idea about adding alimony arrears to pay them back through the ch 13

was layed of for 2 6 month stretches 2017-2018 have not been able to catch up on alimony arrears and mortgage payment arrears.

I know alimony is not dischargable but can I include them with mortgage arrears to pay both in a ch 13

I have a court date to ask to modify alimony due to income change butcan’t pay the whole amount of arrears back at one time and ex is not agreeing to payments. I’m filing ch 13 anyway so thought I would see if there is a consensus

thank uou

Back support is a priority claim and MUST be paid through a Chapter 13 Plan unless the other party agrees to different treatment. So, the answer to your question is "yes it can (must) be paid through the Plan just like mortgage arrears". You are required to keep post filing support payments current.

Please meet with a local attny for further information.

Des.

bubby51

Back support is a priority claim and MUST be paid through a Chapter 13 Plan unless the other party agrees to different treatment. So, the answer to your question is "yes it can (must) be paid through the Plan just like mortgage arrears". You are required to keep post filing support payments current.

Please meet with a local attny for further information.

Des.
I have an attorney but sometimes asking a general or generic question on this platform is faster than waiting for a response from my lawyer.

every client thinks their the only one a lawyer has.
Thank you for your answer

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">