• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ch 7 & Credit Card debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

payneta2

What is the name of your state? TX

My husband and I are considering bankruptcy due to my loss of job recently. I am worried though, about 2 months ago my mother was unemployed and asked me to repay her for a loan she had made to me 3 years ago. Well, I did not have the money so I took out a cash advance to repay her. Now I am afraid that if I do have to file bankruptcy that they will think I have committed fraud. What are my options?:confused:

Ladynred

How soon are you considering filing ?? Its true, they look at cash advances and payments to 'insiders' (family), but if you can wait 3-4 months, then the period they look at for 'preferential' payments to insiders will have gone by and it won't matter much. A lot depends on the amount of the advance too.. was it a few hundred or thousands????

You can have the debt to your mother discharged.. just like all the rest.

P

payneta2

It was $2000. I think we can wait a little while. I still owe her more but that was all I could give to her at the time. Even if I wait, would it be best to get some kind of letter from her indicating the payment was made to her?
Thanks for the advice.

J

joshuaadvant

Payments to relatives were relevant up to one year when I filed in IL. Ninety days for others.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">