• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ch 7 Relatives Debts eligible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
Owe about 20,000 to grandfather for various reasons. Trying to figure out if enough to bother filing.

Garnishments in effect for late ex-wifes bills inflated during the time between separation and divorce.

I give enough to my mother to claim her on my taxes.

Unfortunately income is not low-income. Around 45.000 year. No assets except for two vehicles not worth a great amount.


Senior Member
Yeah, you could discharge the debt to your grandfather plus, the debts creating the garnishments as well as any other unsecured creditors.
Most bk lawyer give free initial consultations. Talk with a couple and get your options explained.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential